The demand for trained analytics professionals has witnessed a massive growth in recent years. The dearth of skilled manpower can be overcome with serious intervention at the education level and imparting training on specific Analytical and statistical tools.
This goes to say that training in Analytics is of foremost importance to match the ever growing demand and dearth in supply. Yet, there is a severe dearth of good training programs in the field.
In this article, Analytics India Magazine investigates ten courses on Analytics being offered by premier institutes of India.
Please note that this list is not a ranking, the list is in the alphabetic order of the School name.
PGP in Business Analytics and Big Data is India’s first holistic data science program designed and delivered by Aegis School of Business & Telecommunication in association with IBM to train the new generation of data-savvy professionals. This 11 months program provides you intensive training to develop the necessary and unique set of skills required for a successful career in the world of Big Data and Business Analytics.
- Certification from IBM at the completion of the course.
- IBM Business Analytics Lab: IBM has setup an IBM Business Analytics and IBM Cloud Computing Lab in the campus.
- Innovative Curriculum: Curriculum has been developed for the programs jointly and will be delivered by IBM designated subject matter experts and Aegis faculty.
- The curriculum caters to the various skill requirements of organizations across the world including Banks, Computer Services, Education, Healthcare, Insurance, Manufacturing, Retail and other industries.
- Tools: Hands on exposure on IBM DB2, IBM Cognos TM1, IBM Cognos Insight, IBM InfoSphere Big Insight, IBM Worklight, IBM BlueMix, R, Python, SAS, Hadoop, MapReduce, EC2, AWS, Weka etc
- Placement: Aegis has Career Management Centre organizes your paid internship as well as the final placement with leading companies.
- Duration and Credit: The PGP – BA & Big Data program is Globally acceptable 36 Credit Unit spread over 11 months that includes 2 months. Delivered Full time & Part time (online/weekend/hybrid)
- Course Modules taught by IBM: IBM faculty will be teaching three courses: (i) Business Intelligence using Cognos BI (ii) Big Data Analytics using IBM InfoSphere Big Insight and (iii) Enterprise Performance Management using IBM Cognos TM1
The programme has been designed in association with IBM. An IBM Business Analytics Lab has been setup at the BMU campus. IBM will be providing the relevant software and training based on Predictive Analytics using IBM SPSS, Descriptive Analytics using IBM Cognos, and Big Data & Analytics using IBM InfoSphere BigInsight.
Typically, students who are interested in this programme would have studied Science, Mathematics, and Engineering; along with the general audience.
- 2-year, full time programme, mentored by Imperial College London
- Innovative curriculum jointly developed by BMU and IBM on various industry specialisations, and based on skill requirements of organizations across the world
- Opportunity to learn through live industry cases directly from industry practitioners from IBM and experts from BMU
- Professional certification from IBM on completion
- Hands-on learning at the on campus IBM Business Analytics Lab
The PGP-BA Programme is designed with a learning methodology that is comprehensive in content and impactful in outcome. The format of the Programme combines the best of classroom sessions and technology aided learning in terms of recorded lectures and live webinars.
- The Programme duration is 11 months, with the participants spending 5 days (including weekend) every alternate month on campus.
- Between successive contact sessions, participants would take online classes and access other learning material (assignments, readings, recordings, hands on SAS lab exercises, etc) using an online learning management system.
- In terms of number of hours, the Programme would be spread across 240 hours of classroom sessions and about 150 hours of online learning (using recordings, webinars, virtual lab, assignments and project).
Cross functional approach that integrates number crunching, information technology, management
applications, business analysis for a result oriented application learning.
Multi-scenario exposure to a systematic and structured application lab (integrating data, process,
domain and systems) for informed decisions and value insights.
Inputs from decision makers, practitioners and academicians to ensure that the skill development is
aligned to the industry expectations with focus on ready-to-apply solutions in real world.
This programme is intended for enabling practitioners, managers, and decision-makers to use advanced analytics for better decision-making and in-depth understanding of these concepts using hands-on technique(s) and relating to business cases. The programme may also be of interest to participants from various analytics organizations to better understand the underlying concepts of these advanced techniques. An aptitude for quantitative modeling and some prior experience in use of analytics is desirable.
The teaching methodology for this programme will be an appropriate mixture of classroom teaching, hands-on experiments, case discussion, identification of best practices, in-class participation, group reading and presentations, guest lectures, and panel discussion.
The course is suitable for those who are already working in analytics to enhance their knowledge as well as for those with analytical aptitude and would like to start new career in analytics. The participants of Executive Education are expected to have at least 5 years of work experience.
The programme will be conducted live in the classroom at IIMB. The sessions will be beamed instantaneously across selected cities in India through Reliance Web World outlets using video conferencing facilities that allow a large number of geographically dispersed participants to participate in highly interactive sessions with the faculty.
Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow (IIML) and Kelley School of Business (KSB), Indiana University, USA is offering one year part time certificate programme in business analytics for executives (CPBAE). The program is jointly taught by highly experienced faculty from IIM Lucknow, India and the Kelley School of Business, Indiana University, USA. A combination of class room and an online learning platform is used. It offers flexibility since the participants can access the internet and attend online classes from any location. Training on predictive analytics with Eminer by SAS Institute (India) Private Limited, access to e-learning and opportunity for getting certified on Predictive Analytics.
ISB is offering a one year Certification in Business Analytics with an aim to create Next generation Data Management Scientists. The programme is designed on a schedule that minimizes disruption of work and personal pursuits. The program is a combination of classroom and Technology aided learning platform with 430 contact hours. Participants will typically be on campus for a 5 day schedule of classroom learning every eight weeks which would ideally be planned to include a weekend. The schedule will include full days of teaching and evenings will be used for Industry speakers, quizzes& group work. Apart from this some modules and Tutorials will be taken on the technology platform .The program also has a component on Business Analysis & Predictive modeling by SAS. Another key element embedded is the Action learning project whose duration varies between 3- 6 months focused on real subject from the organization .
Business analytics (BA) refers to the skills, technologies, applications and practices for continuous iterative exploration and investigation of past business performance to gain insight and drive business planning. Increases in computing power and the amount of data collected have led to the development and widespread adoption of analytics by numerous industries.
The proposed program on Business Analytics will combine coursework on developing analytical thinking, introductory and advanced statistical concepts, and applications across wide section of industry and functional domains.
In partnership with SAS, a 5-day ‘Statistical Business Analyst’ program will be conducted by SAS leading to SAS Certification as well. This program will be delivered by SAS at the end of the Certification Program offered by NMIMS. The students will be provided by the SAS course material and the necessary software package with validity over the training period.
One of the few full time courses in India, this is an industry supported program in Business Analytics designed and delivered in collaboration with knowledge partner ICICI Bank and knowledge supporter PwC.
This unique Praxis Business Analytics Program is spread over 12 months. The program is divided into 4 trimesters:
- Three trimesters of three months each comprise classroom training on campus
- One trimester of three months is assigned for internship in an organization
The program offers an equivalent of 16 courses of 3-credits each. This translates into 480 hours of classroom training including projects, presentations and assignments. Some of these assignments may be ‘live’ industry assignments.
Students will be offered a 3-month internship with organizations of repute. They will be required to work on live assignments in the domain of Business Analysis.