There was a time when Drone was just a concept, and today it has gained so much traction that it is marking its presence in several verticals. Also, the pace at which this amazing tech is evolving, soon we will be able to see a very clear line dividing the time without drones and the time after its adoption. The transformation would be amazing.
With this skyrocketing popularity of drones number of companies in the field of drones and UAVs are also in increasing, creating several job opportunities for all the drone tech enthusiasts.
So, if you are someone who is passionate about drones and want to work in this field, then here are 5 jobs from the drone tech field you can apply for.
UAV Systems Engineer (Flight Testing) at FlytBase in Pune
FlytBase is the world’s first Internet of Drones (IoD) platform, that allows easy deployment of intelligent drones, connected with cloud-based business applications. FlytBase is compatible with all major drones — whether its DJI, Ardupilot, or PX4, and its hardware platforms, including, Intel, Qualcomm, Nvidia, Samsung.
Currently, the company is looking to hire a UAV systems engineer to plan and execute flight test plans for new software features, electronics, sensors, and payloads. The job role will also include hands-on mechanical and electrical integration of new hardware components on the internal fleet of test vehicles for R&D and testing, troubleshoot and debug any components of a drone in the office or in the field, maintenance of vehicles – keep the fleet ready for flight tests etc.
- Experience in flight testing and operating/piloting small UAS and/or RC aircraft
- Experience in using flight-planning and ground control station software.
- Should be familiar with UAV platforms such as Pixhawk, DJI, Ardupilot and PX4.
- Experience in integrating, operating, and tuning autopilots on a variety of unmanned vehicles.
- Basic knowledge of electrical test equipment (multimeter, oscilloscope) and UAS sensors.
Software Developer for Autopilot Control System at Aarav Unmanned Systems (AUS) in Bengaluru
Aarav Unmanned Systems (AUS) is the first start-up to get VC funding from the SIIC-IIT Kanpur ecosystem. The company builds Drones and their applications in enterprise space. AUS’ Drones provide high-value engineering solutions to enterprises across GIS Surveying/Mapping, Industrial inspection and Precision agriculture.
At present, the start-up is looking to hire a software developer to work on autopilot control systems. As a software developer at AUS, you have to build control system software (AutoPilot) for Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs), research and implement algorithms on control systems and sensor technology, and integrate and implement UAV subsystems.
Taking about annual salary, AUS is willing to pay ₹9,00,000 -₹15,00,000
- 2-3 years of experience
- Should be an awesome coder — C/C++ &
- Should read be able to read research papers and implement them for real word
- Should have been a pro with Linux systems, Data structures, and Algos
- Have knowledge of aircraft/quadrotor control systems
- Have hands-on with any flight control autopilot platforms like ardupilot/PX4 etc.
Geoinformatics Engineer at Skylark Drones in Bengaluru
Skylark Drones is India’s largest aerial mapping drone solutions and services provider for drone aerial mapping. It acquires data, analyses it and presents it in a way one can use.
At present, the company is looking to hire a Geoinformatics Engineer. As a geoinformatics engineer, your job would be:
- to work on key problems in the GIS data processing and identify effective solutions
- to work on photogrammetric processing of UAV data set, and draw valuable insights out of it
- to build tools using scripting techniques and GIS models to automate various operations in GIS operations
- to explore the available data to find new value propositions
- Command over geospatial processing software like QGIS or ArcGIS, including building tools and models.
- Experience with geotechnical engineering processing software like AutoCAD.
- Open to learning new technologies and methodologies.
- Comfortable working in a low monitoring/guidance environment.
- Strong sense of initiative, ownership, urgency and drive.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organisational and leadership skills.
Software Engineer in Test – Robotics and UAV at MathWorks in Hyderabad
MathWorks develops MATLAB and Simulink, the leading technical computing software used by engineers and scientists. The company right now is looking to hire a Software Engineer in Test – Robotics and UAV. If you enjoy working with ‘Robotics, UAV and Computer Vision, this is definitely a good opportunity. As a Quality Engineer at MathWorks, you will have to define test strategies and write automation for cutting-edge Robotics, UAV and Computer Vision features.
- A bachelor’s degree and 3 years of professional work experience (or a master’s degree)
- Programming experience in MATLAB, C++, Robotics Programming, OOP etc.
- Experience with algorithms for manipulators or humanoid robots
- Experience with algorithms for autonomous mobile robots
- Experience with ROS (Robot Operating System) and/or Gazebo
- Experience with Simulink Coder and Embedded Coder
- Experience with integrated embedded software development
Full Stack Software Development Architect at Vimaan Robotics in Bengaluru
Vimaan Robotics is a Silicon Valley Bay Area-based early stage startup that work with drones. The company is enabling a paradigm shift in the way drones are developed, deployed, scaled and leveraged in everyday commerce.
In order to form a team in its R&D Center in Bengaluru, India, the company right now is looking to hire a Full Stack Software Development Architect. The job role would include:
- Develop integrated embedded systems and customer applications for the company’s drones
- Architect and develop full-stack software to interface between a solution and customer database and access
- Integration and testing of various off the shelf sensors and other modules with drone and related software
- Develop software related to autonomy and flight controls
- Management of outsourced R&D and other projects by local and other vendors
- At least 10 years of experience developing back-end functionalities
- Experience with WMS systems is a STRONG PLUS
- Should be familiar with development on cloud platforms.
- Proficient with server-side languages like Java and PHP, Database technologies like MySQL, Oracle,
- MongoDB, and Web server technologies like J2EE, Apache, Nginx
- Experience working with teams in the US
- Should be capable of writing code, debugging systems and solving problems in real time
Subscribe to our NewsletterGet the latest updates and relevant offers by sharing your email.
Harshajit is a writer / blogger / vlogger. A passionate music lover whose talents range from dance to video making to cooking. Football runs in his blood. Like literally! He is also a self-proclaimed technician and likes repairing and fixing stuff. When he is not writing or making videos, you can find him reading books/blogs or watching videos that motivate him or teaches him new things.