Data Science is one of those blessed fields where an individual can achieve that unique balance between human interaction, technical knowledge and career growth. Data science sector is flourishing to such an extent that our earlier jobs study revealed that there are currently more than 97,000 job openings for analytics and data science in India right now.
It is true that the “hottest job of the 21st century” has all the buzz, glam and traffic, but many enthusiasts still are unable to set themselves apart from the numerous applicants these sought-after organisations are getting.
How Can Writing Set You Apart?
Technical content writing is now becoming one of the quickest ways to express yourself online. With noted portals looking for fresh takes on sought-after topics related to artificial intelligence, machine learning, data science and IoT, among others, more and more people are choosing this route to express themselves online. Here are some of the advantages of data scientists expressing themselves online:
- You’ll Gain Confidence In Your Work: Content writing is the perfect option for persons who are not comfortable in sharing their thoughts and ideas face-to-face. While presenting an idea in a blog or an article format, the data scientist may find a clear, calm voice to showcase his/her opinions. It is a great way to boost your own confidence.
- You’ll Reach Out To The Data Science Community: Data science is a community which is spread far and wide — and the only thing that can hold it together in a meaningful manner is the World Wide Web. When you put out your ideas in writing on noted media platforms, they have a chance to go far and wide and be implemented or used by someone. By reading each other’s ideas, data scientists can grow and learn from each other.
- You’ll Validate Your Expertise: As data scientists work on real-world problems more and more, they learn little tricks of the trade. For example practising data scientists have their own way of handling tasks like data cleaning, checking missing values, then checking for correlations between features within data in an optimal manner, unique to them. Therefore, when you share your insights about such unique topics, it will automatically establish you as an authoritative figure in the data science ecosystem. Younger data scientists will look up to you for guidance and help.
- You’ll Create Opportunities: Platforms that showcase features, news and stories only on emerging tech like AI, IoT or data science are few and far between. That’s why when you write on these topics, you’ll automatically gain the attention of the players in this market. From employers, head-hunters to practising data scientists and even CXOs, most of the players in this field are hungry for more relevant content in this industry. Writing about a topic you would like to be viewed as an expert in, can illustrate to readers, employers, and your network, that you are are skilled and knowledgeable.
- You’ll Not Only Be A Data Scientist, You’ll Also Be A Storyteller: As data gets deeper and more complex, it becomes imperative to bring in simplicity in it. And storytelling makes it simple and more interesting, drawing interest from listeners and readers alike. Also, Stories provoke thought and bring out deeper insights. Also, when data and analytics reveal great insights, an absence of narrative makes it hard to relate to the facts. And this is where data storytelling comes into the scenario — it takes data visualisation to a whole new level. With the help of real-life instances and experience, a data storyteller helps its audience understand better.
- You’ll Build Your Brand: Isn’t it wonderful when someone Googles your name and the first thing they see is not your LinkedIn or Facebook profile? It is great when employers or even peers see you as a contributor to a noted website. It adds more credibility to your profile and shows that you are in with all the right people in the industry.
- To become a contributing author at Analytics India Magazine:
Check out our editorial guidelines here
And then submit your story ideas here
Register for our upcoming events:
- WEBINAR: HOW TO BEGIN A CAREER IN DATA SCIENCE | 24th Oct
- Machine Learning Developers Summit 2020: 22-23rd Jan, Bangalore | 30-31st Jan, Hyderabad
Enjoyed this story? Join our Telegram group. And be part of an engaging community.
Our annual ranking of Artificial Intelligence Programs in India for 2019 is out. Check here.
Provide your comments below
What's Your Reaction?
Prajakta is a Writer/Editor/Social Media diva. Lover of all that is 'quaint', her favourite things include dogs, Starbucks, butter popcorn, Jane Austen novels and neo-noir films. She has previously worked for HuffPost, CNN IBN, The Indian Express and Bose. You can reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org