Commerce and Industry Ministry has constituted a task force to prepare for the industrial revolution 4.0 and the resulting economic transformation.
Nirmala Sitharaman, minister for Commerce and Industry, said in a press statement:
“With rapid development in the fields of information technology and hardware, the world is about to witness a fourth industrial revolution… Driven by the power of big data, high computing capacity, artificial intelligence and analytics, Industry 4.0 aims to digitise the manufacturing sector.”
Reportedly, the task force will include experts, academics, researchers and industry leaders.
V Kamakoti, a professor from the department of computer science and engineering at Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, is to head the panel, and Ravinder, Joint Secretary, DIPP, Ministry of Commerce & Industry is to be the convenor.
Kamakoti added that that task force was to submit its first report within four months.
Home » India’s Industrial Revolution 4.0: Commerce Ministry Sets Up Task Force Dedicated To AI
“The committee will focus on a wide spectrum of areas including agriculture and transportation… We will concentrate on the types of tools, inter-operability, standardisation and skill sets needed for artificial intelligence and machine learning,” he said.
The task force is also to explore possibilities to leverage AI for development across various fields, and then submit recommendations to the government, industry and research institutions.
The rest of the 18-member panel includes:
- Anuj Kapuria, High Tech RoboticSystemz Ltd
- Anurag Agarwal, Institute of Genomics & Integrative Biology, CSIR
- Ashish Dutta, IIT Kanpur
- Ashwini Asokan, Mad Street Den, Chennai
- Gautam Shroff, vice-president & chief scientist, TCS Innovation Labs, Gurgaon
- GH Rao, HCL Technology
- G Madhusudan, IIT Madras
- GVN Apparao, ex-chief technology officer, Cognizant
- Komal Sharma Talwar, founder, XLPAT
- Kunal Nandwani, founder & CEO, uTrade Solutions
- Shantanu Chaudhary, IIT Delhi, Department of Electrical Engineering
- Vijay Kumar Sankarapu, founder & CEO, Arya.in
- Ajay Kumar, Additional Secretary, Ministry of Electronics & IT
- Amandeep Gill, Ambassador/PR to CD, Geneva
- K Nagaraj Naidu, Joint Secretary (ITPO), Department of Economic Affairs
- Aloke Mukherjee, DRDO
Provide your comments below
Prajakta is a Writer/Editor/Social Media diva. Lover of all that is 'quaint', her favourite things include dogs, Starbucks, butter popcorn, Jane Austen novels and neo-noir films. She has previously worked for HuffPost, CNN IBN, The Indian Express and Bose.