As India is making a fast progress directed towards a digital world, making headlines in initiatives like smart city or a dedicated center of excellence for Internet of Things being announced by PM Narendra Modi, the country is evidently stepping towards a better connected world. The IoT ecosystem is accelerating at a faster pace and there are many companies mushrooming up in the area of IoT building new products and solutions across all the verticals.
With this, the demand for skilled professionals in the area has gone up many folds opening up a plethora of opportunities for the aspirants. Many mid sized companies have especially contributed to an increasing demand for the workforce, which along with MNCs have led to tremendous job creation in the field. With a rise in sensors, chips, Industrial IoT and a connected everything, there has been a rise in newer job titles such as network engineer, IoT product engineers, IoT cloud architect, IoT solftware support, IoT solution architect, to name a few. That’s not all, with robots and automation taking a center stage at many industries, there are also possibilities of creation of job titles such as robot coordinators in the future.
As Internet of Things is hitting the products and services side of it, creating job opportunities like never before, IoT India magazine brings a detailed study, which enlists details such as top trends in IoT, hiring across cities, tools & skills, salaries and much more. Titled “IoT India Jobs Study 2017”, it is a must read for professionals keen on building a career in IoT industry.
Top Trends in IoT jobs-
- On an average, there are almost 26 new job openings around IoT that are posted each day in the country.
- While, it is difficult to ascertain the exact number of IoT jobs openings; by our estimates, close to 2,500 positions related to IoT are currently available to be filled in India.
- Compared to worldwide estimates, India contributes just 8% of open jobs opening currently. The no. of jobs in India are likely to increase much faster vs. the rest of the world as more IoT projects get outsourced to India due to lack of skills across the world.
- 10 leading organizations with the most number of IoT opening this year are – Cisco, Amazon, Wipro, Happiest Minds, L&T, SAP Labs, Accenture, IBM, Bosch & GE.
IoT jobs by cities-
- In terms of cities, Bengaluru accounts for around 51% of IoT jobs in India.
- Chennai comes a distant second contributing 15% IoT jobs in India.
- Approximately 12% of IoT jobs are from Delhi/NCR.
IoT jobs by industry-
- Telecom sector continues to be the biggest influencer in IoT job market. 37% of all jobs posted on IoT were from the Telecom sector.
- 14% of IoT jobs were in Engineering/ Industrial product/ Utilities sector.
- Semiconductors / Electronics sector contributes 13% of all IoT jobs.
Experience requirement by IoT jobs-
- Around 32% of IoT requirements are looking for candidates with less than 5 years experience.
- Only 3% IoT jobs are for freshers.
- 68% IoT job openings are for professionals with more than 5 years job experience.
IoT jobs by salaries-
- The median salaries being offered by advertised IoT jobs in India is INR 6.1 Lakh/ annum. Advertised salaries tend to be lower than actual salaries.
- 34% of all IoT jobs offer a salary range of 3 to 6 Lakh, followed by 33% for less than 3 Lakh.
- Almost 15% of all advertised IoT jobs in India are offering a salary of more than 10 Lakh
If you loved this story, do join our Telegram Community.
Also, you can write for us and be one of the 500+ experts who have contributed stories at AIM. Share your nominations here.
What's Your Reaction?
Bhasker is a Data Science evangelist and practitioner with proven record of thought leadership and incubating analytics practices for various organizations. With over 16 years of experience in the area of Business Analytics, he is well recognized as an expert within the industry. Earlier, Bhasker worked as Vice President at Goldman Sachs. He is B.Tech from Indian Institute of Technology, Varanasi and MBA from Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow.