Microsoft has officially released Windows 11 in its stable form, and the new update is free for existing Windows 10 users on compatible PCs worldwide. Microsoft expects all eligible devices will have access to the free Windows 11 upgrade by mid-2022. The update was released a day earlier to its planned launch date of 5 October.
The launch is known to be “phased and measured,” with new eligible devices getting the upgrade first and the rest getting offered the free upgrade sometime between October and mid-2022, depending on hardware, age of the device and other factors. A notification from Windows Update will be received letting you know when Windows 11 is available to one’s device in particular, or it can be checked manually.
To install the new version, the Windows 11 system requirements dictate that your PC must have the following :
- CPU: 1GHz or faster with two or more cores on a compatible 64-bit processor or system on a chip (SoC)
- RAM: 4GB
- Storage: 64GB or larger
- System firmware: UEFI, Secure Boot capable
- TPM: Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0
- Graphics card: Compatible with DirectX 12 or later with WDDM 2.0 driver
- Display: High definition (720p) display that is greater than 9 inches diagonally, 8 bits per colour channel
- Internet: Windows 11 Home edition requires internet connectivity and a Microsoft account to complete device setup on first use. Windows 11 Pro edition does not.
Windows 11, first introduced back in June, delivers a sleeker look compared to its previous versions. New features include support for Android apps, more detailed widgets, an update to layouts for snapping applications to the screen and a completely revamped Microsoft Store. Windows 11 also includes a new user interface, a redesigned Start menu, Microsoft Teams integration, and much more.
The Windows 11 upgrade is available in the Windows Update section. In the Windows 10 settings area, one may even skip the queue and upgrade immediately using Microsoft’s new Installation Assistant.
Microsoft claims that Windows 11 is a safer, more performant Windows that’s simple to use, with a welcoming design that’s meant to make using your PC for work and play easier than ever.
Subscribe to our NewsletterGet the latest updates and relevant offers by sharing your email.
Victor is an aspiring Data Scientist & is a Master of Science in Data Science & Big Data Analytics. He is a Researcher, a Data Science Influencer and also an Ex-University Football Player. A keen learner of new developments in Data Science and Artificial Intelligence, he is committed to growing the Data Science community.