In a recent Microsoft blog post, it has been announced that the company is introducing a ‘new look’ of workspaces in the PowerBI service.
“To modernise and simplify the user experience in the Power BI service, last year, we had launched a public preview of the new look feature,” stated senior product manager, Nikhil Gaekwad in the blog post. That look majorly focused on improving the overall viewing experience. Some of the features included were, vertical page navigation, surfacing additional metadata, and simplifying the action bar.
However, “since then, we’ve continued to evolve the new look experience based on feedback and made incremental updates to validate our design. And, today, I’m excited to announce that we’re bringing the modern look and feel of the new look to a place where most of us spend time collaborating and managing content – workspaces,” stated Gaekwad.
According to the post, all the workspaces, including the classic and the new ones will receive the modern new look, provided the ‘new look’ toggle has been turned on the dashboard.
Apart from the new look features include:
- It has been made easier for users to add content to their workspace. With the ‘+’ New button, users can access to connect to data, open files, and create new reports, dashboards, and more.
- An entry point has been made on the top command bar to switch between the list and lineage view. This entry point will help users to see the connections between data flows, data sets, reports and dashboards and their connections to other data sources.
- With the help of the new search box, users can perform a search across all content within their workspaces.
- The original tabs have been restructured to give users a flat list of content like SharePoint. This will create less confusion for users.
- With the new Filters tab, users can quickly filter the content to search within workspaces with hundreds of artefacts.
- The modern look is providing quick actions for your content that will be available on hover.
- Apart from these, the new look has a lighter colour theme and updated icons based on the Microsoft Fluent design system.
Here’s the new tab order:
- All – Shows all content (dashboards, reports, workbooks, paginated reports, datasets, dataflows) within the workspace.
- Content – Shows all content created for consumption (dashboards, reports, workbooks, paginated reports) within the workspace.
- Datasets + dataflows – Shows all the datasets and data flows within the workspace for easy data management.
In a recent LinkedIn post, Gaekwad confirmed the news by stating — Collaborating and managing content in the #PowerBI service just got a whole lot easier. I’m excited to announce that we’re bringing the modern look and feel of the ‘new look’ with a ton of usability improvements to workspaces!
According to the blog post, all Power BI Service users will be able to opt-in to the new look of workspaces using the existing ‘new look’ toggle on the dashboard.
If you loved this story, do join our Telegram Community.
Also, you can write for us and be one of the 500+ experts who have contributed stories at AIM. Share your nominations here.
Sejuti currently works as Senior Technology Journalist at Analytics India Magazine (AIM). Reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org