Listen to this story
With the view to understanding the salary trend in the data and analytics domain, AIM Research conducts a Data Science Salary study annually and presents a report on the same. This research is the only annual study in India that delves extensively into India’s data and analytics salary trends and provides a comprehensive view of the changing landscape.
Keeping in line with the overall recessionary trend, the median salary of data and analytics professionals has decreased in 2023 compared to 2022. In terms of years of experience, as well, the salary of data professionals across varying levels of work experience has decreased.
This report, now in its ninth year, covers the median salary distribution across multiple categories, including cities, education, sector, years of experience, and key data science roles. The report enables entrepreneurs, industry policymakers, companies, and data science experts to get an overall view of the salary structures across multiple roles, sectors, cities, experience levels, and others.
AIM Daily XO
Join our editors every weekday evening as they steer you through the most significant news of the day, introduce you to fresh perspectives, and provide unexpected moments of joy
For previous year’s reports:
2022 | 2021 | 2020 | 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015
Download our Mobile App
- The median salary of data science professionals has decreased by 10%, from 16.8 LPA in 2022 to 15.2 LPA in 2023.
- 34% of data analytics professionals command a salary between 0-6 LPA followed by 19% in the 6-10 LPA bracket.
- With a median salary of 28.5 LPA, a data architect earns 1.8 times more than the median salary of an analytics professional.
- Data professionals working with Kubeflow on average earn 1.6 times more than the median salary of a data/analytics professional.
- The median salary of freshers or data & analytics professionals with 3-6 years has dropped by more than 25%.
- On average, there has been a 21% decline in median salary across consumer industries.
- Data professionals working in startup analytics firms have seen a 10% increase in the median salary followed by those in Boutique Analytics firms (8%).
- Data & analytics professionals working in startups earn 1.6 times the benchmark median salary.
- Data & analytics professionals in Mumbai earn 1.2 times the median salary of data and analytics professionals.
Median Salary of Data & Analytics professionals over the years
Data & Analytics professionals command a salary of 15.2 LPA in 2023.
Compared to 2022, there has been a 10% decline in the median salary of data & analytics professionals.
The increasing demand for data & analytics professionals has seen salary increase by 60% in the last 8 years.
Distribution of Data & Analytics Professionals across salary brackets
34% of data analytics professionals command a salary between 0-6 LPA
Data and analytics professionals earning between 25-50lpa have increased by 3.6 percentage points
There has been negligible change in the proportion of data science professionals earning between 0-6 LPA.
Salary trends of data & analytics professionals by roles
A Data architect earns 1.8 times the median salary of data & analytics professionals.
A data architect on average earns 130% more than that of a data analyst.
The median salary of data engineers is 0.9 times less than the median salary of analytics professionals.
Salary trends of data & analytics professionals by tools
Data professionals working with Kubeflow on average earn 1.6 times more than the median salary of a data/analytics professional.
In the cloud computing space, data/analytics professionals working with GCP (18.1), on average, earn 1.1 times more than those working with Azure (16) and AWS (15.8)
Data professionals working with Matlab on average earn only 0.9 times the median salary of a data/analytics professional.
Salary trends of Data & Analytics professionals by years of experience
The median salary of freshers or data & analytics professionals with 3-6 years has dropped by more than 25%.
The salary of hands-on data & analytics professionals with 6-10 years of experience has increased by 16% between 2020 and 2023.
Data & analytics leaders with over 10 years of experience are commanding a median salary of less than 6 LPA compared to the previous year.