Text editors provide support through various phases such as word completion, syntax highlighting, etc. while coding i.e. it fulfills the basic requirements of a programmer. There are many text editors available such as Sublime Text, VS Code, Atom, Notepad++, etc. and it is crucial to keep in mind that before you start working on any text editor, you must read the documentation deeply, understand it’s keybindings, follow the updating processes, etc. In this article, we compare the editors, Sublime text and Notepad++.
What They Are
Sublime Text is a cross-platform source code editor with Python application programming interface (API). This editor provides interesting features like syntax highlighting, auto-completion and code folding functionalities.
On the other hand, Notepad++ is a very fast source code editor and text editor for Microsoft Windows which allows working with multiple open files in a single window. This free software ensures a higher execution speed as well as smaller program size. This advanced code editor includes features such as smart syntax highlighting, autocomplete, indentation, tabbed editing, etc.
Sublime Text includes some amazing user-friendly features such as mentioned below:
- Use Goto Anything to open files with only a few keystrokes, and instantly jump to symbols, lines or words
- The Multiple Selections allow you to interactively change many lines at once, rename variables with ease, and manipulate files
- The Command Palette holds infrequently used functionality, like sorting, changing the syntax and changing the indentation settings
- It has a powerful Python API which allows plugins to augment built-in functionality
- Split Editing supports you in editing files side by side or edits two locations in one file
- It has a powerful, custom cross-platform UI toolkit with syntax highlighting engine
While the text editor, Notepad++ includes the interesting features as mentioned below:
- Notepad++ has features for consuming and creating cross-platform plain text files. It recognises three newline representations (CR, CR+LF, and LF) and can convert between them on the fly
- Improves plain text editing experience in general, such as finding and replacing strings of text with regular expressions, guided indentation, autosave, simultaneous editing, etc.
- It has support for macros and plugins and has been marked for its robust plugin architecture which enabled various new features to be integrated into the program
- Supports internationalisation through XML files in an application specific format containing all internationalized strings (dialog captions, menu titles, and items, etc.) in a certain language
- It has a variety of easter eggs
Languages They Are Written In
Sublime Text is written in two languages, C++ and Python while Notepad++ is written in C++.
You need to buy the membership in Sublime Text for $80 however, there is a free version available which you can download and use it unlimitedly. On the other hand, Notepad++ is licensed under GPL making it a free and open source text editor.
Sublime Text supports Windows, macOS, Linux while Notepad++ supports only Microsoft Windows.
Sublime Text 3 is the current version of Sublime Text where the latest version 3.2.1 (Build 3207) is released on 6 April 2019. The latest version has various syntax highlighting improvements, improved performance with a large number of git repositories in the sidebar, improved file indexing behavior in some scenarios, improved scrolling logic in some scenarios and many more.
On the other hand, Notepad++ has released its latest 7.6.6 version with GnuPG (Gnu Privacy Guard) signatures on 4 April 2019. The GPG allows the users to reliably validate the authenticity and integrity of Notepad++ packages. The version includes features such as security enhancement, enhanced “File status Auto-Detection”, fixed various crash issues, and many others.
Interest Overtime Graph
Register for our upcoming events:
- Meetup: NVIDIA RAPIDS GPU-Accelerated Data Analytics & Machine Learning Workshop, 18th Oct, Bangalore
- Join the Grand Finale of Intel Python HackFury2: 21st Oct, Bangalore
- Machine Learning Developers Summit 2020: 22-23rd Jan, Bangalore | 30-31st Jan, Hyderabad
Enjoyed this story? Join our Telegram group. And be part of an engaging community.
What's Your Reaction?
A Technical Journalist who loves writing about Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence. A lover of music, writing and learning something out of the box. Contact: email@example.com