Big data analysts need the right tools which empower them to analyse and make robust decisions in an organisation. In this article, Analytics India Magazine lists down 15 top analytical tools that all persons who work with Big Data must use in 2019:
1| Apache Spark
Apache Spark is a fast and general-purpose cluster computing system which provides high-level APIs in Java, Scala, Python, and R, and an optimised engine which supports general execution graphs. It also supports a rich set of higher-level tools including Spark SQL for SQL and structured data processing, MLlib for machine learning, GraphX for graph processing, and Spark Streaming. Some of the features of this unified analytics engine include
- Speed: This tool achieves high performance for both batch and streaming data.
- Easy to use: It offers over 80 high-level operators which makes it easy to build parallel applications
- Generality: Includes a stack of libraries which can be combined seamlessly in the same application
- Flexible to work on almost everywhere. It runs on Hadoop, Apache Mesos, Kubernetes, etc.
2| Apache Storm
Apache Storm is a free and open source distributed real-time computation system which makes it easy to reliably process unbounded streams of data, doing for real-time processing like Hadoop for batch processing. The features of this analytics tool include
- Simple: Storm is simple, can be used with any programming language
- Fast: A benchmark clocked it at over a million tuples processed per second per node
- Scalable: It is scalable, fault-tolerant and guarantees your data will be processed.
- Easy to use: This tool is easy to set up and operate.
3| Apache SAMOA
Apache SAMOA is a platform for mining big data streams. It provides a collection of distributed streaming algorithms for the most common data mining and machine learning tasks such as classification, clustering, and regression, as well as programming abstractions to develop new algorithms that run on top of distributed stream processing engines (DSPEs).
The features of this analytics tool include
- SAMOA’s main goal is to help developers to create easily machine learning algorithms on top of any distributed stream processing engine.
- The users can develop distributed streaming ML algorithms once and execute them on multiple DSPEs.
The Apache Hadoop software library is a framework which allows for the distributed processing of large data sets across clusters of computers using simple programming models. The framework is composed of the following modules
- Hadoop Common: The common utilities that support the other Hadoop modules.
- Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS): A distributed file system that provides high-throughput access to application data.
- Hadoop YARN: A framework for job scheduling and cluster resource management.
- Hadoop MapReduce: A YARN-based system for parallel processing of large data sets.
- Hadoop Ozone: An object store for Hadoop.
- Hadoop Submarine: A machine learning engine for Hadoop.
Apache Cassandra is a distributed database which is highly scalable without any compromising performance. It is a perfect platform for mission-critical data as it has features such as linear scalability and proven fault-tolerance on commodity hardware or cloud infrastructure.
Some of the features of this analytics tool include
- Decentralised: There are no single points of failure as every node in the cluster is identical.
- Performant: Cassandra consistentlyoutperformspopular NoSQL alternatives in benchmarks and real applications, primarily because of fundamental architectural choices.
- Fault Tolerant: Data is automatically replicated to multiple nodes for fault-tolerance.
- Durable: Cassandra is suitable for applications that can’t afford to lose data, even when an entire data centre goes down.
Elasticsearch is a highly scalable open-source full-text search and analytics engine which allows you to store, search, and analyse big volumes of data quickly and in near real time. It is a distributed, RESTful search and analytics engine capable of solving a growing number of use cases. Some of the features of this analytics tool include
- Query: Elasticsearch lets you perform and combine many types of searches — structured, unstructured, geo, metric — any way you want.
- Analyse: Elasticsearch aggregations let you zoom out to explore trends and patterns in your data.
- Speed: Elasticsearch if incredibly fast due to the implementation of inverted indices with finite state transducers for full-text querying, BKD trees for storing numeric and geodata, and a column store for analytics.
- Fast time-to-value: Elasticsearch offers simple REST-based APIs, a simple HTTP interface, and uses schema-free JSON documents, making it easy to get started and quickly build applications for a variety of use-cases.
KNIME Analytics Platform is the leading open solution for data-driven innovation, helping you discover the potential hidden in your data, mine for fresh insights, or predict new futures. It is an enterprise-grade, open source platform which is fast to deploy, easy to scale, and intuitive to learn. KNIME Analytics Platform is easy to use and it is one of the perfect tools for a data scientist.
LUMIFY is powerful big data fusion, analysis, and visualisation platform which supports the development of actionable intelligence. The features of Lumify include
- Speed and Scale: Queries run as fast as your underlying database can support, allowing you to take advantage of your existing data infrastructure for data ingest, streaming, complex queries, etc.
- Non-Proprietary Data Storage: Lumify sits on top of standard data platforms and fits into your analytic eco-system. Lumify works with your existing data to enable sharing across your analytic tools and systems.
- Bring Your Own Analytics Capability: Lumify’s infrastructure allows you to attach new analytic tools that will work in the background to monitor changes and assist analysts as they sort through complex information.
- Real-Time and Secure Collaboration: Analysts can instantly share their workspaces with their colleagues, control individual access, and set separate controls based on security classification.
MongoDB is a document database with the scalability and flexibility which is designed for ease of development and scaling. It is open sourced and offers both a Community and an Enterprise version of the database. Some of the features include
- MongoDB stores data in flexible, JSON-like documents, meaning fields can vary from document to document and data structure can be changed over time.
- The document model maps to the objects in your application code, making data easy to work with.
- Ad hoc queries, indexing, and real-time aggregation provide powerful ways to access and analyse your data.
- MongoDB is a distributed database at its core, so high availability, horizontal scaling, and geographic distribution are built in and easy to use.
Neo4j is one of the popular graph database management systems. Neo4j’s Graph Platform is the fastest path available to operationalise enterprise analytic insights by connecting the work of big data IT to data scientists to application developers building impactful applications. The Graph Platform fits seamlessly into enterprise data architectures, alongside, around and above relational warehouses, data lakes, cloud and legacy systems.
NodeXL Basic is a free, open-source template for Microsoft Excel which makes it easy to explore network graphs. NodeXL Pro offers additional features that extend NodeXL Basic, providing easy access to social media network data streams, advanced network metrics, and text and sentiment analysis, and powerful report generation.
R is one of the most popular statistical languages for statistical computing and graphics. It provides a wide variety of statistical (linear and nonlinear modelling, classical statistical tests, time-series analysis, classification, clustering, etc,) and graphical techniques, and is highly extensible.
RapidMiner Studio is a powerful data mining tool for rapidly building predictive models. It features hundreds of data preparation and machine learning algorithms to support all your data mining projects. With RapidMiner Studio, you can access, load and analyse any type of data – both traditional structured data and unstructured data like text, images, and media. Some of the features include
- Easy to use visual environment for building analytics processes
- More than 1,500 operators for all tasks of data transformation and analysis
- Support for scripting environments like R, or Groovy for ultimate extensibility
- Seamlessly access and use of algorithms from H2O, Weka and other third-party libraries
- Extensible through open platform APIs and a Marketplace with additional functionality.
Tableau is one of the most popular BI tools which is used for data visualisation. The tool allows data blending, real-time collaboration, etc. and are able to connect to the files and other Big Data sources in order to gain insights and patterns from data. It can be said as the most powerful, secure, and flexible end-to-end analytics platform for your data.
Talend is an open source data integration and data management platform, which has a number of ETL tools which are designed to simplify the complex needs of a growing, data-driven business. Talend Open Studio for Big Data helps in developing faster with a drag-and-drop UI and pre-built connectors and components.
Join Our Telegram Group. Be part of an engaging online community. Join Here.
Subscribe to our NewsletterGet the latest updates and relevant offers by sharing your email.
A Technical Journalist who loves writing about Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence. A lover of music, writing and learning something out of the box.