Machine learning provides one of the best working opportunities out there and hence it the one the top hottest career choices not only India but around the world. Tech giants like Google, Amazon and others are always looking for skilled personnel when it comes to hiring for machine learning. Machine learning provides a great challenge and a good salary, not only that but a massive market for job opportunities and indeed, people are interested. So, naturally, people would like to know more about ML.
Below are a few of the FAQs that we have tried to answer in some detail:
How do I learn machine learning on my own?
This question not only ends up in the FAQs on the web, but this is also the first question that pops up in one’s mind when they think about learning machine learning. How?
Well, it depends on where one stands right now on their skill level. Generally, it will be better to have specific knowledge about the programming languages, but fret not! Even if one doesn’t have any experience with programming, one can learn machine learning after learning those languages of course. The languages like python are relatively easy to learn, and most of the students, from personal experience, have said that studying python without prior knowledge of programming will make it a bit easy to learn.
If one intends to learn ML on their own, they need to be relentless and have to start thinking about them round the clock. Reading books, articles, and blogs, and keeping books related to ML always by one’s side to get the basics right, is also essential.
If one has decided to start learning on their own, they would have to work very hard and take up every possible course online. As to build up one’s skill set and an impressive resume, one should do as many Kaggle competitions as possible.
What skills are needed for machine learning jobs?
A machine learning engineer must have a particular skill set to work and excel as a machine learning engineer. The following skills are the must-haves for a machine learning engineer:
- Expertise in languages like Python/C++/R/Java.
- Probability and statistics.
- Data modelling and Evaluation.
- Machine learning Algorithms.
- Advanced Signal Processing Techniques.
- Distributed Computing.
- Linear Algebra.
- Programming knowledge.
What are some algorithms that every machine learning engineer should know?
Machine learning algorithms are self-modifying and continue to improve. These machine learning algorithms in future will take up a majority of the automation sector jobs. These algorithms help in tackling the complex real-world problem with minimal human interventions, and there are some algorithms that every machine learning engineer should know. Below are some of the most famous and top algorithms an ML engineer should know:
- Naïve Bayes Classifier Algorithm
- K Means Clustering Algorithm
- Support Vector Machine Algorithm
- Apriori Algorithm
- Linear Regression
- Logistic Regression
- Artificial Neural Networks
How should you start a career in machine learning?
Kickstarting your career in AI and machine learning follows almost the same path as every other stream, get one’s basics right, thone skills in programming languages and other prerequisites.
Basics to learn:
- Learn calculus
- Learn linear algebra
- Learn programming languages like Python, R, Java
Next step would be to learn machine learning. Take up online machine learning courses and take up as many as you can. Practising machine learning is crucial as Andrew Ng says, ‘you will have a choice between staying at home and reading research papers/implementing algorithms, vs watching TV. If you spend all Saturday working, there probably won’t be any short-term reward, and your boss won’t even know or say ‘nice work’.’
One can take many courses on platforms like Coursera and other MOOCs.
Next step would be to build projects and start participating in Kaggle competitions after one has honed their skills enough to be confident about machine learning.
Which are the best online courses for machine learning?
Courses help to get a better understanding of machine learning and taking one’s knowledge to the next level.
There are several courses online on Coursera and other MOOCs. Tech giants like Google and Microsoft also offer AI and ML courses which will help take one’s career one step further.
Below are listed some of the popular courses:
- Machine Learning Course by Stanford University (Coursera)
- Deep Learning Course (deeplearning.ai)
- Machine Learning: From Data to Decisions (MIT Professional Education)
- Machine Learning Course A-Z™: Hands-On Python & R In Data Science (Udemy)
What are some common machine learning interview questions?
The interview questions asked in these machine learning interview generally aim at finding out the comprehensive picture of the candidate’s depth of knowledge. Usually, the interviewer would like to go deeper as it gives far more understanding of the candidate’s knowledge.
Below are some questions that a candidate must be able to answer, which will help one become more confident while facing an interviewer: (Many other questions can be asked; hence, it is vital to have sound knowledge about all the ML concepts)
- Discuss views on the relationship between ML and statistics.
- Why do we call it GLM when it’s non-linear?
- How are neural nets related to Fourier transforms? And what are Fourier transforms?
- Explain and walk us through the math and implementation of an algorithm you like? (next, the interviewer might pick an advanced one and ask about it)
- What’s the relationship between Principal Component Analysis (PCA) and Linear & Quadratic Discriminant Analysis (LDA & QDA)
- What’s the difference between logistic and linear regression? How do you avoid local minima?
What are the AI and ML starting salaries in India?
MNCs with R&D centres in India offer large salaries ranging from ₹ 1.5 million – 2 million per annum. However, to attract these kinds of numbers, one must have significant experience and knowledge.
The salaries as per Glassdoors are:
- For beginners, the salary number will be in the range of ₹4-5 lakhs.
- A machine learning engineer will have around range ₹750k – ₹1,200k.
- An ML data associates ₹231K – ₹354K
These salaries vary from one MNC to another MNCand could be more.
Enjoyed this story? Join our Telegram group. And be part of an engaging community.