The Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert certification is one of the world’s most prestigious certifications in the IT industry. It is one of the best ways to take a high leap in the career. It is a little pricey as the written exam costs around $350and the lab and practical exam cost $1,600 per attempt. According to the sources, CCIE Security Version 5 and CCIE Routing and Switching V5 Certifications are highly demandable over the past a few years. However, the certification has different demands in different countries, for instance in countries like USA, UAE and Middle East, the demand is higher than the rest because of their limited human resources.
The Different Tracks To Choose From
The CCIE programme is currently divided into six different tracks:
- CCDE: Cisco Certified Design Expert certification identifies networking professional with expert-level knowledge and skills in network design. The two hours written exam and 8 hours practical exam will prove your ability to perform a job as an expert in the field.
- CCIE Routing & Switching: This is the most popular CCIE track than the rest. This track focuses on expert knowledge of networking across LAN and WAN interfaces and other variety of routers and switches and also have an in-depth understanding of Layer 2 and 3 network infrastructure.
- CCIE Collaboration: This track requires an understanding of collaboration solutions integration and interoperation, configuration and troubleshooting in complex networks as well as the challenges of video, mobility, and presence. It needs expert-level skills required to how to design, implement and troubleshoot complex collaboration solutions as well as able to deploy collaboration systems and services that improve user productivity.
- CCIE Data Centre: The CCIE Data Centre certification requires expert knowledge in the implementation and troubleshooting of data centre technologies, knowledge of OS, network services for cloud enablement, etc along with the ability to demonstrate an in-depth understanding of Layer 2and 3 infrastructure.
- CCIE Security: This track requires expert knowledge of security and VPN solutions, in-depth understanding of Linux, Windows, HTTP, SMTP, FTP, DNS, etc., capable of configuring complex end-to-end secure networks, troubleshooting integrated environments and understand common attacks as well as mitigation techniques.
- CCIE Service Provider: This track requires expert level knowledge of IP fundamentals and technologies, expertise in building an extensible service provider network infrastructure to deliver rich managed services, knowledge in packet architecture.
- CCIEE Wireless: This track is for the engineers who can demonstrate a broad theoretical knowledge of wireless networking as well as requires to be an expert in WLAN technology.
Designations Offered To CCIE Certified Professionals
- Network Security Engineer
- Sr. Network Security Engineer
- Network Architect (Computer Networking/ IT)
- Principal Network Architect
- Network Administrator (IT)
- Security Consultant
- Network Engineer
- Sr. Network Engineer
CCIE Hall Of Fame
In the CCIE Hall Of Fame, the total number of CCIEs who reported in the hall of fame include #57,597. However, the list starts from #1025 and the last updated date of this site is on Nov 2017, so there will be definitely a counting of more than #60,000 CCIEs in the world by now.
Is It Still Relevant?
This certification is a pillar for those who want to build a career in the networking field. The worth for this certification mainly depends on how this certification is going to help you in boosting your career. With the advancement of technology everywhere, the Cisco team is trying to make the CCIE more than just network engineers. According to the CCIE/CCDE Program Evolution, the technologies are focusing on cloud, network programmability, Internet of Things (IoT) had been introduced in the written examinations.
Perks Of This Certification
There are several benefits of achieving the certifications, such as mentioned below
- This is a highly respected certification
- Better opportunities with higher salary
- The certificate proves your ability and expert experience in networking which will help you in getting quick promotions.
Importance Of CCIE In India
According to the sources, CCIE strongly recommends having 3-5 years of industry experience before attempting the certification. Cities such as Bangalore, Pune, Chennai, Gurgaon, New Delhi, Hyderabad, and Mumbai are among the popular cities for CCIE jobs. In India, companies such as Cisco Systems Inc, HCL Technologies, Orange Business Services, TCS Ltd, British Telecom, Vodafone, Juniper Networks Inc. are popular for hiring CCIE. The median salary of the designations in India may range from INR 20,00,00 to up to INR 19,00,000.
If you loved this story, do join our Telegram Community.
Also, you can write for us and be one of the 500+ experts who have contributed stories at AIM. Share your nominations here.
What's Your Reaction?
A Technical Journalist who loves writing about Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence. A lover of music, writing and learning something out of the box. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org