In a bid to boost technology infrastructure and spread the concept of eco-friendly data centres, the Andhra Pradesh government on Wednesday signed a memorandum of understanding with the Adani Group to build data centre parks in and around Visakhapatnam over the next 20 years with a staggering investment of ₹70,000 crore.
With this, the Adani Group is set to make its foray into the digital infrastructure sector also. This project would be a first-of-its-kind 100% renewable energy powered project in the world.
In line with the AP government’s visionary IT policy and focus on promoting data centres, cloud infrastructure, and allied technology industries as well as renewable energy, the Adani Group will be supporting the development of the digital and energy infrastructure in the state, by developing proposed data centre parks, in three different campuses in the city which is expected to create over a one lakh direct and indirect jobs during period, the proposed investment is set to be made.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Join our editors every weekday evening as they steer you through the most significant news of the day, introduce you to fresh perspectives, and provide unexpected moments of joy
The MoU was signed by Adani Group Chairman Gautam Adani and Andhra Pradesh Principal Secretary (IT) K Vijayanand in the presence of Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu and IT Minister Nara Lokesh.
Significance Of The Project: Key Points
- The data centre parks will have capacities up to 5 GW and will be totally powered by renewable energy.
- The hyper-scale data centre market in the state will position AP as the east coast data centre hub for India and Southeast Asia.
- It will also be integrated with a cable landing station to take advantage of the states long coastline to help provide the required global connectivity and redundancy and to enable India to manage its exponential growth of data.
- This network of parks will be flexibly designed to adapt to emerging technology trends in the Data Center industry.
- It will be scaled modularly to meet the customer demands so that it can provide, a unique energy supply value proposition to its customers.
- The data centre park will also be transformational in enabling an entire ecosystem system of hardware suppliers, software application providers, start-up companies, and telecom ecosystem players.
- The data centre parks will further catalyse innovation and create the multiplier effect leading to thousands of new jobs and will generate increased tax collections for the state and centre in long run.
We are proud to be associated with @AndhraPradeshCM to develop solar-powered hyper-scale Adani Data Center parks in the state. This will help position #AP as the east coast #DataCenter hub for #India & South East Asia, taking #DigitalIndia to new heights. https://t.co/OEMUeiMAyp
— Adani Group (@AdaniOnline) January 10, 2019
Speaking on the occasion, Chief Minister Nara Chandrababu Naidu said that the State is aiming to become one of the top digital destinations in the world. According to him, efficient and eco-friendly data centres are the key to enable a futuristic digital ecosystem in the state.
He further added that digitization is the future and will soon be a critical component in everything they are doing we do, be it from agriculture to financial markets to smart cities to healthcare.
“The next generation technologies like artificial intelligence, machine learning, analytics, big data, image processing are changing the world around and driving innovation in every single activity,” said IT minister Nara Lokesh during the joint event.
The IT minister further adds that the kind of mobile revolution that we are witnessing now, India will desperately need more data storage, data processing and data networking centres in future.
“We are happy to collaborate with AP government. The data centres are fundamental building blocks for enabling every aspect of the critical technology infrastructure that India needs to further accelerate its growth”, said Gautam Adani, Chairman, Adani Group in a press release.