There is no doubt that analytics is here and now & providing concrete value to thousands of organizations around the world. Also, India seems to play an important role in propagating analytics and data science as disciplines around the world. What we are seeing right now is a quicker adoption of analytics and consequently, a huge demand for companies that provide these services.
In this in-depth study, we evaluate the depth and breadth of analytics providers in India. We are often asked about the health of overall analytics industry in India. A true leading indicator of the growth prospects of an industry is the number of companies in that field. A decreasing number of companies indicate consolidation in the market, whereas an increasing number of companies and startups indicate that the field would bloom in the upcoming years.
Sign up for your weekly dose of what's up in emerging technology.
There are more than 2,500 companies (of all sizes) in India providing analytics services. The number has grown significantly from last year. These also include peripheral services like training and recruitment. Given this volume, it’s obvious that analytics is buzzing with passionate pandemonium. With this study, we aim to bring some meaning to the chaos and clear the fog around the analytics companies scene in the Indian economy.
A thorough research was conducted by Analytics India Magazine in collaboration with one of the leading analytics training providers in India – Jigsaw Academy.
- More than 2,500 companies in India claim to provide analytics as an offering to their customers. This includes a small number of companies into products and a larger chunk offering either offshore, recruitment and training services.
- There is growth rate of almost 27% year over year in the number of analytics companies in India from last year.
- Moreover, the number of analytics companies in India are still very few in number, compared to the strength of analytics companies around the globe. In fact, India accounts for just 9% of global analytics companies.
- On an average, Indian Analytics companies have 160 employees on their payroll.
- It is a healthy increase from an average of 115 employees since last year.
- On a global scale, this is quite a good number, as analytics companies across the world employ an average of 90 employees
- Almost 73% of analytics companies in India have less than 50 employees compared to 86% on a global level.
On dividing the companies based on the nature of the analytics services they provide, we found that 37% of analytics providers in India are essentially full service outsourcing firms; 47% analytics providers are boutique analytics firms, 11% are product analytics firms and only 4% were into training & education firms while just about 1% were staffing firms in analytics space.
- Being the IT hub of India, Bangalore undoubtedly, continues to house the most number of analytics firms in India, i.e. almost 30%.
- It is followed by Delhi-NCR at 26% and Mumbai at 17% analytics companies.
- Hyderabad, Chennai and Pune are far behind with their percentages of analytics companies in single digits as reflected in the graphs above.
- However, these numbers seem to have not changed much since last year.
- In fact, Mumbai has seen a high growth in the average employee strength per company, which has more than doubled.
- Analytics companies in Mumbai have the highest employee strength on average (311 employees per company), followed by Bangalore (192) & Chennai (191).
Further, we also looked at the percentage distribution of type of analytics firm in each city. In Delhi/ NCR & Mumbai, the number of Boutique analytics firms are almost double the number of IT/ BPO firms with focus on analytics. Hyderabad, Pune & Ahmedabad, on the other hand, have a higher proportion of IT/BPO firms in analytics than boutique analytics firms.
The research figures and findings, the startling growth rates, plus my interactions with leaders from the industry all indicate that beyond being just an IT hub, India has the blinding potential to become a hotbed for analytics. It’s just that most of India doesn’t seem to know it yet!
Research, coupled with continued interactions with the industry leaders prove that data driven organizations are far better prepared to mitigate risks in businesses compared to others.
While growth is happening exponentially on one hand, the number of firms popping up are still a blimp on the giant IT canvas. That has to change to really make a global impact. Which is why, studies like these are a great way of shining a light on new and upcoming organizations doing cutting-edge work in the field of analytics and Big Data.
To close, we hope that this Analytics India Companies Study is able to provide readers with deeper insights on the analytics companies’ landscape in India.
Here’s the complete report:
Download the report