Analytics jobs scenario in India is constantly evolving. Companies are looking to hire professionals who are well-versed with new tech concepts such as analytics, big data, data science, artificial intelligence and machine learning, among others. While there may be a huge variation in the skills sets, experience and education requirement for these professionals across various cities and industries, there is a constant rise in the overall demand for analytics professionals with new jobs being posted each day.
This year’s Analytics And Data Science Jobs Study is brought to you in association with Edvancer, one of India’s leading data science skills training institute which offers a wide range of data science training programs for individuals and corporates.
The study takes into consideration various aspects of the job scenario for analytics professionals in India across industries such as retail, telecom and e-commerce, among others. The study also takes a look at various hiring trends over the years, jobs profiles, company types, experience required, educational background, etc.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Join our editors every weekday evening as they steer you through the most significant news of the day, introduce you to fresh perspectives, and provide unexpected moments of joy
Read our last year’s study here.
Top Trends In Analytics jobs
- The number of new analytics jobs advertised per month increased by almost 76% from April 2017 to April 2018.
- The number of new analytics jobs increased by 52% from April 2015 to April 2016, and by 40% from April 2014 to April 2015. It had almost doubled from April 2016 to April 2017.
- We saw a brief dip in the job requirements from August to September 2017. Post that, the number of analytics jobs advertised have been on a constant rise.
- While, it is difficult to ascertain the exact number of open analytics job openings; according to our estimates, close to 78,000 positions related to analytics are currently available to be filled in India. Open analytics jobs is a different metric than new jobs advertised per month.
- This is almost 57% jump in the open job requirements, compared to the same time a year back.
- Compared to worldwide estimates, India contributes 10% of open job openings currently. Growth in the number of data science jobs globally was much higher than India.
- Last year India contributed 12% of worldwide open job requirements which has decreased to 10% this year.
- 10 leading organisations with the most number of analytics openings this year are – JPMorgan, Accenture, Microsoft, Adobe, Flipkart, AIG, Ernst & Young, Wipro, Vodafone & Deloitte.
- Almost 98% of analytics jobs advertised in India are of full-time basis. Just 2% form the part-time, internship or contractual jobs.
- Top designations advertised are: Analytics Manager, Business Analyst, Research Analyst, Data Analyst, SAS Analyst, Analytics Consultant & Statistical Analyst, Data Scientist.
Analytics Jobs By Cities
- In terms of cities, Bengaluru accounts for around 27% of analytics jobs in India. This is an increase from 25% a year ago.
- Delhi/ NCR comes second contributing 21% analytics jobs in India, down slightly from 22% a year ago.
- Approximately 12% of analytics jobs are from Mumbai. This is significantly down from 17%, last year.
- The contribution of Tier-B cities in analytics jobs continues to increase this year, from 5% in 2016 to 7% in 2017 to 14% this year due to the increased number of start-ups operating in Tier 2 cities.
Analytics Jobs By Industry
- Banking & financial sector continues to be the biggest influencer in analytics job market. 41% of all jobs posted for analytics were from the banking sector. This is a decrease from 46% a year ago.
- E-commerce continues to dip in terms of analytics jobs this year. Just 8% of analytics jobs were in ecommerce sector as opposed to 10% in 2017 and 14% in 2016.
- Energy & utilities sector seems to have the highest uptick in analytics jobs this year, contributing to 15% of all analytics jobs as opposed to 11% a year ago. The sector has been traditionally a late adopter of analytics.
Education Requirement By Analytics Jobs
- Almost 48% of analytics job openings are looking for a B.E./ B.Tech graduate degree in the incumbent.
- 18% analytics job openings are looking for a postgraduate degree which are not MBA or M.Tech. This is a decrease from 26% a year ago.
- 8% analytics jobs specifically require an MBA/PGDM degree.
- Just 13% recruiters are looking specifically for graduates with non-BE/ non-B. Tech degrees, up from 10% last year.
Experience Requirement By Analytics Jobs
- Around 62% of analytics requirements are looking for candidates with less than 5 years of experience.
- 17% analytics jobs are for freshers.
- 38% analytics job openings are for professionals with more than 5 years of job experience.
Analytics Jobs Across Tools
- Recruiters are increasingly moving away from technology and tools-based recruiting to skills-based recruitment. More broadly, there has been significant decrease in the jobs advertised for a specific tool.
- Analytics recruiters are becoming aware that unlike IT, analytics requires a combination of skills, and tools are just one aspect of it.
- The demand for Python professionals is the highest among all analytics recruiters. Almost 39% of all advertised analytics jobs in India demand for Python as a core skill.
- Python also saw the biggest jump in analytics requirements this year, replacing R as the most in-demand analytics tool.
- R skills comes second, at 25% of all analytics jobs looking for R professionals. This is decrease from last year of 36%.
- Among visualisation tools, Tableau skills are most in-demand.
Analytics Jobs By Salaries
- The median salaries being offered by advertised analytics jobs in India is INR 10.8 Lakh per annum.
- Advertised salaries tend to be lower than actual salaries. We have earlier reported the median salaries of analytics professionals in India to be INR 12.7 Lakh.
- 27% of all analytics jobs offer a salary range of 6-10 Lakh, followed by 23% for 3-6 Lakh.
- Almost 38% of all advertised analytics jobs in India are offering a salary of more than 10 Lakh.
Analytics Jobs Across Company Type
- Almost 41% of all analytics demand is with Captive centres/ GIC’s in India. These are organisations that mostly utilise analytics for internal consumption (for primarily their global businesses).
- This is down from 56% a year back.
- Service providers (both domestic & MNC’s) saw an uptick in the analytics jobs requirements this year.
- Almost 24% of all analytics jobs advertised are by MNC IT & KPO service providers, up from 18% a year ago.
- 21% of all analytics jobs advertised are by Domestic IT & KPO service providers, up from 15% a year ago.
- 9% of analytics jobs advertised are by Indian companies that require analytics for internal consumption. This is a very healthy number signifying growing adoption of analytics and data science with Indian organisations.
Read the Entire Study:
Download the complete Report