In this data dominated era, it has become crucial to employ analysts who can turn all the raw data into actionable insight for a company. From Fortune 500 companies to a startup company, every company have realised that utilising the huge amount of datasets can improve a business’s bottom line. Hence, data science is on the rise, both from a company’s and employee’s perspective. According to an IBM report, data scientists and advanced analysts are the fastest-growing roles, which are projected to see demand spike by 28 percent by 2020.
Most of the companies seek data scientist with a very particular experience and skills to run and complete data science projects. Here we take a look at what few tech companies like IBM, Infosys and Wipro are looking for in a data scientist to make their team more smarter.
What Infosys Is Looking For In A Data Scientist
According to a job post on LinkedIn, this is what Infosys is looking for in a Data Scientist or what they call it ‘Data Science Modelers’, to optimize the business through analytics and statistical modeling and to develop, maintain reporting and analytical tools.
- The data scientist should have a PhD or Master’s degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering, Commerce, Science
- Domain experience in Retail or Finance or Supply Chain or/and Marketing will be an added bonus.
- Hands on experience in Statistical Techniques such as Decision Tree, Segmentation, Logistic and Multiple Regression and others.
- Infosys also prefers to have a candidate who has exposure to US or overseas markets with a Domain/ Technical/ Tools knowledge.
- Proficiency with statistical analysis tools. For example, SAS, SPSS, R
- Hands on experience in Statistical Techniques such as Decision Tree, Segmentation, Logistic and Multiple Regress, among others
- Strong Excel, Access and PowerPoint skills
- Familiarity with database query tools (SQL)
- Basic understanding of a data warehouse architecture
- Experience of Campaign Management and Customer Segmentation
What IBM Is Looking For In A Data Scientist
To run and complete a data science projects in IBM this is what the Armonk-based computer manufacturing company is looking for in a data scientist, according to IBM’s Seth Dobrin and Jean-Francois Puget.
- The company prefers a candidate with a Masters of Science or Doctorate degree. Because having an advanced degree will help take a complex project and break it down into a set of testable hypotheses.
- Expertise in a programming language like R, Python, Scala, Julia.
- The candidate must have the ability to transform and manage large data sets.
- The data scientist must have an ability to communicate with non-data scientists. She/he must have good storytelling skills and have the ability to map mathematical concepts to common sense.
- Expertise in machine learning and statistics, with an emphasis on decision optimization
What Wipro Is Looking For In A Data Scientist
The primary focus of Wipro’s Data Scientist is to apply data mining techniques, doing statistical analysis and building high-quality prediction systems. The data scientist in Wipro will be working extensively in data-centric digital storytelling and data visualization.
According to Wipro, these are the skillsets and qualification the data scientist must have:
- The data scientist must have an excellent understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms, such as k-Nearest Neighbors, Naive, Bayes, Support Vector Machine (SVM), Decision Forests, etc.
- She/he should have an experience with common data science toolkits, such as R, Weka, NumPy, MatLab, etc.
- The data scientist should have an experience in data visualization tools, such as D3.js, GGplot, etc.
- She/he should be proficient in using query language such as SQL, Hive, Pig
- Experience with NoSQL databases, such as MongoDB, Cassandra, HBase
- Good applied statistics skills (distribution, statistical testing, regression, etc) and scripting and programming skills
- The data scientist must have good communication skills and should have data-oriented personality with solid client-facing consultative skills.
Subscribe to our NewsletterGet the latest updates and relevant offers by sharing your email.
I have over three-years of experience in editing, reporting. My career in journalism began with The Economic Times. When I am not busy, I read, I binge-watch web series.