Year by year, the demand for data science skills is growing exponentially all across the globe, and Malaysia is not behind in the AI race. Data science is no longer an uncommon space in Malaysia, and organizations across have started to leverage data science and use its capabilities to fine-tune business operations — from improving the overall customer experience to expanding product and services offering.
So, if you are someone who wants to pursue a career in data science and analytics in Malaysia, then it is definitely a great time to enter the space.
Here Are 5 Data Science And Analytics Job Openings in Malaysia
Data Scientist (TIS) at Grab – Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
At Grab, the Singapore-based ride-hailing company, the Trust, Identity & Safety team act as guardians of all its users. The team make use of rich datasets to find solutions to problems ranging from safety to fraud.
As a data scientist (TIS) at Grab, your job role will include:
- Developing a deep behavioural understanding and intuition of our users
- Building machine learning models for user safety
- Managing the entire end-to-end lifecycle of designing models,
- Analyzing data and trends.
- Interface with business & operation teams to formulate solutions & product changes informed by your findings
- Minimum 3 years of experience building machine learning models in production, or an advanced degree in a quantitative field with at least 1 year of experience.
- Good understanding of machine learning models, feature engineering, and other practical issues, such as overfitting.
- Solid engineering and coding skills.
- Experience in NLP, computer vision, telematics or IMU motion tracking is a plus.
- Experience in MapReduce, Spark and Hive is a plus.
- Good communication skills and experience managing stakeholders is a plus.
Data Analyst – Risk Analytics, TIS at Grab – Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
As the Data Analyst in TIS at Grab, your job will be about analysing the company’s data to develop insights about user behaviours and platform risks. Also, you will have to translate these insights into recommended actions in order to combat different types of fraud.
- 3-8 years of experience as a hands-on analyst
- A technical degree in Computer Engineering, Information Technology, Data Sciences, Mathematics or related fields.
- Have a strong hand in handling large scale unstructured data.
- Experience in BI tools such as Tableau, Qlik Sense and Excel
- Experience with R, Python, SPSS, SAS etc.
- Experience with application of experimentation and statistical techniques
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills along with strong training skills.
Senior Associate – Data Scientist, Advisory, Performance Improvement at Ernst & Young, Malaysia
Ernst & Young is one of the largest professional services firms in the world and is one of the “Big Four” accounting firms. The EY Data and Analytics team are specialists in information management, advanced analytics and business intelligence. And right now, the firm is looking for talented, inquisitive and proactive Data Scientist to join its team.
- A degree in a highly quantitative field such as Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, Operational Research, Information Engineering (Postgraduate qualifications will be an advantage, but not compulsory)
- Experience in formulating and solving business problems using mathematical/statistical constructs
- Experience in solving problems using at least two of the following: Python, R, SAS, SPSS, Java, MATLAB.
- Experience in performing Monte Carlo data simulation
- Should know dimensionality reduction and feature selection techniques.
- Experience in machine learning techniques
- Constrained optimization techniques such as integer programming, constraint programming, etc.
- Some knowledge of big data analytics tools (e.g. Spark, Storm),
- Implementation of algorithms in production, commercial environments (server-side), including object-oriented design.
Data Scientist at Fusionex – Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Fusionex is a data technology provider that specializes in Analytics, Big Data, Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence. It helps clients manage, make sense of and derive useful insights and information from the vast amounts of structured and unstructured data at their disposal.
At present, Fusionex is looking for an experienced Data Scientist to join the firm. As a data scientist his/her job will include:
- scripting data models, automated data feeds, using BI tools to help visualize data, and various ad hoc projects.
- drive statistical analysis projects from beginning to end.
- obtain stakeholder buy-in and convince the audience on the quality of the delivered models
- to work collaboratively with DBAs, data scientists, and analysts.
- drive improvement in methodologies, systems and processes
- Background in statistics, software engineering, data mining, database administration, or other quantitative disciplines is highly valued (Masters/PhDs would be an advantage)
- Have a deep understanding of large data
- Strong knowledge of statistics and data analysis with experience in machine learning techniques
- Strong analytical skills and facility with Excel
- SQL knowledge
- Experience with statistical software (Matlab, SPSS, SAS, R) and Hadoop
- Experience with .Net, Java, HTML 5, Python, HiveQL knowledge
Note: Candidate will have to undergo screening test (theoretical and practical) during the interview which topics are Statistics, Machine Learning, Programming and Apache modules.
Data Science Business Lead at Nielsen – Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
A global measurement and data analytics company, Nielsen is powered by talented Data Scientist Business Leaders who come from diverse disciplines such as statistics, research methodology, mathematics, psychology, business, engineering, physics and demography. Currently, Nielsen is looking for Data Scientist Business Leaders for its Petaling Jaya, Malaysia office.
As a Data Scientist Business Lead, your Job role will include:
- Meet with clients to understand business needs and offer innovative solutions
- Provide data-driven insights to help clients make the right business decisions.
- Analyze quality metrics, consumer products, user behaviour, advertisers, and publishers to improve products.
- Be the voice of the client for internal stakeholders including client service team, product leadership, and app dev teams.
- Work with operations teams and business stakeholders to define and communicate key insights.
- Degrees in Mathematics, Data Science, Statistics, or related fields
- 5+ years of experience in market research or relevant field
- Solid understanding of CPG/FMCG Industry and Retail market impact on client’s business within the market
- Experience with Python/R and knowledgeable with databases like Oracle(SQL) & contemporary data processing engines.
- Experience with data visualization tools (e.g. Spotfire, Tableau, etc.) and mapping tools.
- Working knowledge with collaboration tools: Google Suite — Google site, Google Data Studio, and Atlassian — Git, Bitbucket, Confluence
Provide your comments below
Harshajit is a writer / blogger / vlogger. A passionate music lover whose talents range from dance to video making to cooking. Football runs in his blood. Like literally! He is also a self-proclaimed technician and likes repairing and fixing stuff. When he is not writing or making videos, you can find him reading books/blogs or watching videos that motivate him or teaches him new things.