Amazon Web Services (AWS) has announced the general availability of Amazon ECS Anywhere.
Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS) was released in 2014. Amazon ECS Anywhere offers a fully managed container orchestration service that enables customers to run, scale, and secure Docker container applications easily on any customer-managed infrastructure along with all AWS Regions, AWS Local Zones, and AWS hybrid infrastructure deployments.
Sign up for your weekly dose of what's up in emerging technology.
“Customers have told us that while they need to run containers on their own infrastructure, they don’t want the hassle of operating their own cluster management software. They love the simplicity of Amazon ECS, the fact that it just works, and want the same reliability, scalability, and security of Amazon ECS wherever they run their applications,” said Deepak Singh, VP, Compute Services, AWS.
“With Amazon ECS Anywhere we are proud to provide our customers exactly what they’ve asked for—a single service and control plane to manage their container deployments across AWS Regions, AWS Outposts, AWS Wavelength, AWS Local Zones, and customer-owned infrastructure, both in their data centres and at edge locations. Nothing else in the industry does that,” he added.
Customers have to only pay for the container instances they run. There will not be any upfront fees or commitments to use Amazon ECS Anywhere.
For developers, containers offer a standard way to package and run applications quickly and reliably while improving resource utilisation and reducing cost.
With the latest announcement, customers get a single, fully managed solution that works anywhere they deploy containers. It offers:
- The ability to run Amazon ECS on any infrastructure using the same cloud-based, fully managed, scalable container orchestration service and control plane they use in AWS
- Consistent tooling and APIs for all container-based applications
- Same Amazon ECS experience for cluster management, workload scheduling, and monitoring in the cloud, data centres and edge environments
- Allows customers to create an activation key to register their virtual machines or bare metal servers, install the AWS Systems Manager agent and Amazon ECS Anywhere agent on their on-premise servers, and deploy and manage their applications with Amazon ECS Anywhere.
- Use the same control plane and APIs for managed containers experience across all application environments.