Over the years, data science has witnessed a tremendous transformation in almost all sectors. With that, the popularity of data scientist jobs has also skyrocketed. But why is there such a great demand for data scientists? The answer is simple — to help corporations make better decisions.
To be a part of this buzzing field, data science enthusiasts (especially professionals) across the world are opting for courses to upskill themselves. Analytics India Magazine conducted a survey on “What Do Students Look For In A Data Science Course?” and found out that when it comes to taking up a course, full-time courses have almost the same popularity as part-time. We all know about the amazing perk that short term courses offer — the perk of keeping your jobs while studying — but despite that, 45% of students want full-time courses. What could be the reasons behind this?
The Driving Force Behind The Popularity Of Long-Term Courses
Knowledge is power, and it is essential for each individual. And one can gain knowledge by attending universities and take some courses in a specific field. Talking about course, both part-time and full-time courses have their own advantages. However, many students feel that a full-time course is a good choice — this way they can focus accurately on their lessons without any distraction.
That is not all, they also feel that opting a part-time course throw challenges on maintaining work-study-life balance — one struggles to keep a healthy split between time spent on professional and personal time. And therefore, many end up quitting their day jobs to take up a full-time course. So, if you have plans to take a full-time course, make sure that you quit your job at your own peril and you are clear enough about the reasons why you want to be a full-time student as it has its own obligations.
Witnessing the popularity of full-time courses, AIM decided to list down some of the major benefits of opting a full-time course:
- The first and the major benefit is, your education won’t go to waste; just in case if you choose not to join the same company again after completing your course, there are companies that might want to hire you based on your past work experience and your degree or certificate.
- Your résumé gets an extra touch up and naturally expand as a result of your full-time course. And that also helps you get internships or temporary positions while carrying on with your course. (and you never know, your previous manager might offer you a position again.)
- Education and knowledge are power, and the more you have of these the more you rise. Having a full-time degree or certificate helps you in job security and also, your income typically increases as you become more educated. Therefore, if you are planning to go to college, it can make a significant difference in your income, your job, and quality of life.
Job security and a high paycheck can be tempting and may be the reasons behind you taking a full-time course. However, when it comes to education or gaining knowledge, it takes commitment — it is a heavy word — but plays a vital role when you want to learn something. It doesn’t matter whether you are taking a long-term course or a short-term course, if you are not dedicated enough or not ready to put in your 100%, then things might not work well for you.
Register for our upcoming events:
- Meetup: NVIDIA RAPIDS GPU-Accelerated Data Analytics & Machine Learning Workshop, 18th Oct, Bangalore
- Join the Grand Finale of Intel Python HackFury2: 21st Oct, Bangalore
- Machine Learning Developers Summit 2020: 22-23rd Jan, Bangalore | 30-31st Jan, Hyderabad
Enjoyed this story? Join our Telegram group. And be part of an engaging community.
What's Your Reaction?
Harshajit is a writer / blogger / vlogger. A passionate music lover whose talents range from dance to video making to cooking. Football runs in his blood. Like literally! He is also a self-proclaimed technician and likes repairing and fixing stuff. When he is not writing or making videos, you can find him reading books/blogs or watching videos that motivate him or teaches him new things.