Listen to this story
In today’s age, data is gold. Multiple organisations and various government departments are now posting data science-related jobs. Some of these posts did not exist a few years ago. As a result, the data science domain is ever-growing and generates thousands of jobs every month. According to an AIM Research report, open analytics jobs in India have increased by 73.5 per cent from the beginning of the pandemic in March 2020 to April 2022. Additionally, as of the second week of April 2022, around 179,000 data science jobs were available on the market.
Further, according to a LinkedIn study, data science is one of the fastest growing fields globally and has witnessed a growth of over 650 per cent since 2012. As a result, the data science market is also forecasted to grow from $37.9 billion in 2019 to $230.80 billion by 2026.
Sign up for your weekly dose of what's up in emerging technology.
While there is a growing demand for data scientist jobs in the Indian market, there is also a simultaneous talent crunch in the industry, meaning industry players cannot find the right talent.
The Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta (IIMC), is perfectly positioned to cater to the growing demand of the data science industry. IIMC strives to bridge this dynamic industry’s talent gap through its Advanced Programme in Data Science.
The programme has completed five successful years and has helped candidates acquire prominent data science roles in some of the top firms in the country. IIMC understands the industry’s requirements and helps the candidates acquire the right skill sets. Furthermore, the programme exposes the candidates to different tools and techniques required for analysing and interpreting data in an efficient manner.
Now, IIMC has announced that admissions are open for the sixth year of its one-year Advanced Programme in Data Science.
Why IIMC’s Advanced Programme in Data Sciences is the right choice?
Data science is an emerging field, and numerous institutes offer various courses on data science. However, finding the right course from the right institute is crucial.
IIMC’s one-year (215 hours) Advanced Programme in Data Sciences has been designed to introduce participants to different tools and techniques for handling, managing, analysing and interpreting data. The course also focuses on data management and analysis, introducing various software like Tableau, SPSS Modeler, Oracle SQL, Python, R, @Risk, Arena, Hadoop and more.
With 50+ years of academic excellence and supported by very strong content and faculty, IIM Calcutta is ranked among the top three management schools in the country & is also one of the top institutes in data science education. The prestigious institute is accredited with the coveted triple crown (AMBA, EQUIS and AACSB) certifications.
The pedagogy is also highly interactive with a judicious blend of theory and practical inputs, case studies, assignments and campus visits. Delivered by IIMC’s prestigious faculty, the lectures will be enriched with corporate examples and general discussions.
In the last five years, the course has also helped several candidates to undertake prominent data science roles in some of the top organisations.
IIMC designs the programme, and Prof. Debashis Saha and Prof. Manisha Chakrabarty will oversee the programme. Prof. Saha is a PhD in Computer Communication and Networks from the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, and his area of research interest includes Digital Business Transformation Digital Ecosystem, IoT, Industry 4.0, Techno-economics of ICT, 4G/5G Network Operations, Management & Security, ICT for Development, and WDM Optical Networks among other things.
Similarly, Prof. Chakrabarty is also a PhD from Indian Statistical Institute, Calcutta and has pursued her Master of Science from the University of Calcutta. Her research interests include Applied Econometrics, Development Economics and Applied Finance.
Once the candidature is approved, they will be clubbed in small teams and undertake organisation-based specialised or comprehensive projects of their choice, in the areas of marketing, finance and operations, to be guided by IIMC faculty.
The objectives of the courses are listed below:
- The course focuses on the tools and techniques for handling, managing, analysing and interpreting data.
- The main focus would be on data management and analysis.
- Focus on database management, computation and information systems. Topics like data interpretation, visualisation and analysis, database management and warehousing, machine learning, big data storage and analytics, and deep learning will be covered in great detail.
- In-depth study of quantitative topics such as statistics for data science, econometrics, stochastic processes and simulation.
- The course will not focus on business domains such as finance, operations, marketing and others.
- The programme would be much broader in application areas and focus on non-business applications requiring data handling/managing skills. It includes atmospheric sciences, government, utilities, agriculture, and more.
- Discusses several case studies showing the use of data science in organisations.
Upon completing the 1-year programme, the candidate would have a robust understanding of advanced quantitative and statistical tools and their applications.
Further, they will also get a deeper perspective on quantitative topics such as Statistics for Data Science, Econometrics, Stochastic Processes, and Simulation.
What will you learn?
- Understanding Data Science
- Mathematics for Data Science
- Statistics for Data Science
- Data Management and Data warehousing
- Machine Learning with Python
- Data Interpretation, Visualisation and Analysis
- Econometrics with R
- Stochastic Process and Simulation
- Categorical Data Analysis
- Business Intelligence with Data Analytics
- Big Data Storage and Analytics
- Advanced Topics in Data Science (Text Mining, IoT, Deep Learning, Industry 4.0)
- Project in Data Science
The right candidate
So, who is the right candidate to apply for the course? The course is specifically designed for you if you are a working professional with a role involving handling and interpreting data.
Young managers aspiring to make a career in data science can also make the best use of this course. While it is not mandatory to have prior programming knowledge, IIMC expects the candidate to have a basic understanding of Mathematics and Statistics.
Further, professionals who are keen to build a career in data science or those seeking to accelerate their career in data science with leading techniques and industry-relevant curriculum gained through the knowledge and skills of the finest faculties at IIM Calcutta can also apply.
Details about the programme:
- Duration: 12 months (215 hours)
- Campus: Twice a year. The total duration of campus visits is ten days.
- Programme fees: INR 4,70,000 + GST(Excluding application fees)
- Delivery mode: Direct to Device (D2D)
- Last date to Apply (First Phase of Selections): Aug 31, 2022
- Programme Commencement: December 2022
Last Date to Apply (Last Phase of Selections): October 31, 2022