Each year we publish a study on how analytics companies are coming up in various cities in India and where is the action happening.
By Analytics Organizations we refer to companies that provide services externally around analytics and related fields. This can include training organizations or even large consulting companies with analytics as a service line. We have also included product companies that have created products with a deep focus or dependency around analytics.
- Just 6% of analytics organizations worldwide are either based out of India or have operations in India.
- Yet, the growth in analytics firms, both in India and worldwide, is tremendous. By our estimate, the number of analytics companies in India has grown three folds in last 1.5 years.
- Analytics firms have also grown in size. A year back, the percentage of analytics firms in India with employee size less 50 was 71%. This year, this number has decreased to 66%.
- Last year the average employee strength of analytics providers in India is 76 employees. This year, this number has grown many folds to 270. Though we feel that there might be a bias here. As more large service providers enter analytics, the average employee strength of all firms increase at higher pace.
- Bangalore still is the hub of analytics in India, though other cities are coming up. Last year, Bangalore housed 29% of all analytics firms in India. This is a decline of 2% from a year ago. Similarly, Mumbai (17% to 16%) and Delhi (15% to 11%) have seen a decline in overall % analytics companies.
- Hyderabad has seen the highest growth for analytics companies – from 8% in 2012 to 11% in 2013.
- Among all cities, Mumbai analytics companies have the highest average employee strength. 357 – Mumbai, 298 – Bangalore, 134 – Delhi.
Subscribe to our NewsletterGet the latest updates and relevant offers by sharing your email.
Bhasker is a Data Science evangelist and practitioner with proven record of thought leadership and incubating analytics practices for various organizations. With over 16 years of experience in the area of Business Analytics, he is well recognized as an expert within the industry. Earlier, Bhasker worked as Vice President at Goldman Sachs. He is B.Tech from Indian Institute of Technology, Varanasi and MBA from Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow.