Big data analytics uses advanced methods to extract information from large sets of data using a data-processing application. According to IBM, “Big data analytics is the use of advanced analytic techniques against very large, diverse data sets that include structured, semi-structured and unstructured data, from different sources, and in different sizes from terabytes to zettabytes.”
Players across sectors have realised the importance of intelligence technologies– artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning (ML), big data analytics. Increasingly, organisations and companies are working towards building an ecosystem that enables real-time, data-driven decision making. This saves time, leads to accurate decision-making, and saves cost and human resources.
According to International Data Corporation’s ‘Worldwide Big Data and Analytics Spending Guide’, Indian enterprises will spend about $2 billion on big data and analytics in 2021. Enterprises in the country are investing in big data analytics to make choices based on real-time data. Additionally, India’s spending on these solutions is expected to increase by 11.5 per cent by the end of this year. During the forecasted 2020 and 2025, IDC predicts that big data technology and its service-related spending will rise at a CAGR of 14.6 per cent.
Besides the banking industry– which spends the maximum in the big data analytics segment– telecommunications and other public sector organisations are expected to contribute to this growth.
Owing to this growth and demand, big data analytics has emerged as a highly-valued skill. To keep up with this fast-paced evolution in the tech space and cater to the demand of acquiring skills to examine large sets of data to uncover hidden patterns, the Goa Institute of Management is offering a PGDM in Big Data Analytics.
The campus is located in the lap of the Sahyadri Mountains in the Western Ghats. Goa Institute of Management’s PGDM-BDA course was ranked among the Top Full-time PG Programmes in Data Science – 2021 by Analytics India Magazine.
About the course
The two-years residential Postgraduate Diploma in Management programme has an intake capacity of 120 students. The main intention of the programme is to create future-ready and data-fluent professionals equipped with capabilities for data-driven decision-making.
The programme structure is divided into a 40 to 60 ratio of business knowledge and Big Data Analytics related experience. It involves an extensive application of case-based learning, the use of simulations, hands-on training, seminars, individual and group assignments, and exposure to real-life business problems through on-site industry projects.
Post the completion of the programme, students will have an understanding of the application of Big Data Analytics tools and techniques that are required to solve business problems.
- After completing their first three terms on campus, students get to join companies to do analytics internship projects for five months, placements for which take place in the second year. The five-month internship is mentored by GIM faculty and company executives.
- To facilitate hands-on training on data sets and encourage a problem-solving mode of learning, Goa Institute of Management has a fully-equipped Data Science Lab and teaching assistance. The big data lab is equipped with licensed and open-source software and database subscription services such as Bloomberg and Thomson-Reuters, to provide an immersive learning experience.
- To encourage hands-on experience with handling tools and techniques, the course includes lab sessions taught by a SAS-accredited faculty team.
- Hands-on training on various big data analytical tools and utilities such SAS, Python, R, Tableau, Power bi, Apache Hadoop, Apache Spark, AWS IoT, Tensorflow, Keras and so on for various statistical modelling, machine learning, deep learning, artificial intelligence, block chain and visualization techniques, and its applications in diverse real life business scenarios.
- Through the Analytics Services Goa programme, students in their first year will receive first-hand interaction with industries and institutions in Goa with respect to analytics practices and projects.
- During their course of study, students are further encouraged to work on company projects to fully understand actual business situations, applications of appropriate tools and techniques of big data analytics, and to generate enhanced insights and ultimately devise optimum solutions.
- Several subjects in the programme are taught by guest faculty with extensive industry experience in varied domains. This assists the student to get an overview of the nitty-gritty of the industry and helps them to have hands-on experience in multiple domains.
- Additionally, Goa Institute of Management offers student exchange programs in collaboration with its partner universities in Goa and abroad. Supported by the International Exchange Program Coordinators, this programme enables a cross-culture learning environment.
Arun Prakash, PGDM-BDA 2018-20 batch, said, “The experience nurtured me with both functional and technical caveats. The group projects and challenging timelines to our team projects played pivotal in working with globally oriented teams along with aligning them to success.” Arun is currently working as a Business Analyst at PayPal.
A graduate of the PGDM in Big Data Analytics programme will stand the opportunity to work as a data scientist, or data analyst, or database administrator, or business intelligence analyst. Goa Institute of Management has partnered with Philips, Infosys, Deloitte, Cognizant, Accenture and Western Digital, which is why the first batch of 2018-2020 completed 100 percent placements with 50-plus companies offering summer internships and final placements.
The institution lays great emphasis on gender, work experience and background diversity. For its 2020-21 batch, Goa Institute of Management admitted 90 male and 31 female candidates; and in 2021-23, it admitted 78 male and 25 female candidates. Interestingly, for the 2021-23 batch, 81 per cent of the students were from an engineering background, 10 per cent from science, 7 per cent from commerce and another 2 per cent from an arts background.
The outgoing PGDM-BDA batch of 2022 has achieved 100% placement with the highest CTC of 30.17 LPA.
This year prominent recruiters include Flipkart, Mckinsey and Company, Bain Capability Network, Accenture Strategy and Consulting, Natwest, Mondelez International, VMware, Tiger Analytics, Razorpay, EY GDS, EY India, Deloitte, KPMG Lighthouse, Kantar, Dell, Schlumberger, Accenture AI, NCR, Optum, HashedIn to name a few.
“The BDA program taught me how to analyse data and utilise it to make data informed business decisions. The combination of business expertise and data science creates a one-of-a-kind curriculum that prepares us for a career as data-fluent consultants who can leverage data to drive organisations to success.” – Mr Yash Chawla, Associate Applied Data Scientist, Dunnhumby, (PGDM BDA – Batch of 2020)
Further talking about competitive advantage, Pranjal Totala, a Business Analyst, at Reliance Retail, and a recent graduate of the PGD-BDA programme stated that it is important for companies to develop business strategies and decisions based on analysing the data to find out the trend and market behaviour. And, “the BDA course at GIM is the exact blend to understand data and make business decisions,” said Pranjal. “The course helped me to be a key Business Analyst at reliance retail. My main job is to understand the data and give business insights to help grow the business and this course has helped to achieve that.”
How to apply?
Candidates interested in applying for the 2022-24 batch must have:
- A minimum of 50 percent aggregate in their Bachelor’s degree (45 per cent for SC/ST category candidates)
- Appeared for one of the following– XAT 2022, CAT 2021, GMAT (taken between January 1, 2020, and January 17, 2022)
- CMAT 2022
- Appeared for online entrance test Goa Institute of Management Analytics Aptitude Test or GAAT at no additional cost (will be held on 23rd January 2022). This online exam is conducted by GIM and the student can give the exam from anywhere using the exam link.
GAAT is a 75-minute online test with multiple-choice questions. The test will comprise modules to test one’s knowledge in– statistics, probability, comprehension, data interpretation, logical reasoning, calculus, linear algebra, basic coding, technology and business awareness.
Additionally, weightage is put into past academic records, work experience, profile assessment index and face-to-face evaluation.
* Spot offers to selected candidates
THE ACHIEVERS’ ROUND
This year for the first time, the PGMD-BDA programme would be having their own Achievers’ round, where candidates would be shortlisted without CAT/ XAT/ GMAT or CMAT.
Candidates would be interviewed on the campus and shortlisted based on their profile and achievements in various fields such as academics, sports, music, co-curricular, professional experience, and so on. These accomplishments are illustrative rather than exhaustive. Examples of achievements can be outstanding performance during work experience, academic achievements or performance, sports competition at the national/district levels to name a few.
The highlight of getting selected through this round is the scholarship that the candidate would be getting on their institute fees.
What are you waiting for? Click here to apply for the 2022-24 batch!
CAT application closes on 20th December 2021. The final application deadline is 10th January 2022.