The popularity of Master’s programmes in Data Science is skyrocketing in different parts of the world. Recently, we listed five data science master’s programmes in Germany, and we noticed that data science enthusiasts want to know about such programmes in the US as well.
In this article, we are going to take a look at some of the programmes and universities from the US that data science enthusiasts can consider.
1. MS in Statistics – Data Science @ Stanford University
This MS programme prepares students to continue on to related doctoral program or as a data science professional in the industry. The course not only helps students gain fundamental data science education but also strong mathematical, statistical, computational and programming skills.
- Student should be an advanced undergraduate with a strong mathematics background, especially in probability, statistics and linear algebra
- Should have proficiency in programming (Java, C++)
- Fundamental courses in mathematics and computing may be needed
Duration: 1.25 years (5 quarters)
Fee: Click here to know in detail about the fee structure.
2. Master Of Science In Data Science (MSDS) @ University Of Washington
The MSDS course at the University of Washington is designed in such a way that students can gain immense knowledge of the domain and advance their career in data science domain. The course train students on extracting valuable insights from big data, statistical modelling, data management, machine learning, data visualization, software engineering, research design, data ethics, and user experience to meet the growing needs of industry. Also, the programme comes in both part-time and full-time form. MSDS alumni work at top companies in the world. To know about the base salary a graduate of this course gets, click here.
Click here to know more about the curriculum.
Duration: 1.5 years
Fee: Not mentioned
Note: Students with an F-1 visa must enrol in the full-time program
3. Master of Science in Analytics @ Georgetown University
This programme help students gain solid knowledge in data analytics fundamentals and then add skills in visualization, big data computing, and machine learning. Upon completion of this course, students can not only go for a PhD but can also pursue careers in fields including business intelligence, precision medicine, policy analytics, finance, marketing, online banking, big data infrastructure, and education.
- Candidate should ideally have degrees with a significant mathematical or statistical emphasis
- A minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) is required
- Should have strong knowledge of Multivariable calculus, linear algebra, calculus-based statistics, computer programming, data structures, and algorithm analysis and design.
- Applicants are expected to be proficient with programming languages such R and Python
- To know about GRE/TOEFL/IELTS, click here
Duration: 16 Months (Ideally)
Fee: Not Mentioned
4. Master Of Science In Analytics @ University of Chicago
This master’s programme educates students on cutting-edge analytical models. It also allows the students to take a deeper look at the analytics domain and figure out new ways of using it to explore complex questions. Further, this course offers dedicated guidance to students on their career journey, from internships to full-time positions, through a variety of resources.
- A bachelor’s degree or its equivalent
- Two years or more of relevant work experience in fields like information technology, computer science, mathematics, and statistics
- Must have been conferred a bachelor’s degree by the time the program starts
- No minimum score requirement for GRE/GMAT
- GPA – 3.0 or above
Duration: 1.25 years (5 quarters) to 1.5 years (6 quarters)
Fee: Click here to know the complete fee structure.
5. Master of Science in Data Science (MSDS)@ University Of San Francisco
This programme focuses on the mathematical and computational techniques in the emerging field of data science. It also makes sure that students get a theoretical and practical understanding of many classical and modern statistical modelling and machine learning techniques. Further, the course is curated in such a way that students get a clear view of how to solve some of the most complex business problems. The university also claims that last year, 97% of the graduates got placed in some of the giant companies.
- Candidate should hold a bachelor’s degree in any field
- Should have strong knowledge of inferential statistics, linear algebra
- Should have strong computer programming skills – Java, Python or C++
- GRE General or GMAT score report is required. TOEFL or any other language exam score is required for International Student. (USF school code for GRE and TOEFL is 4850, and 91M-3X-08 for GMAT.)
Duration: Click here to know about the programme duration.
Fee: Not Mentioned
6. Master’s in Business Analytics @ University Of Colorado
This STEM-designated MS Business Analytics degree is solely focused on helping students gain in-depth knowledge and experience capturing and analyzing data sets, and analyze data sets to deliver actionable, impactful business insights to decision-makers. Further, there are three different ways to obtain — on-campus, online, certificate program.
Prerequisites: The selection committee selects students based on a set of criteria. To know about the prerequisites, click here.
Duration: 10 Months
Fee: Not Mentioned
7. MS In data science—residential @ Indiana University Bloomington
This residential M.S. in Data Science program is located on the Indiana University’s Bloomington campus. The course focuses on helping students develop an interdisciplinary approach to data science, and allow them to work collaboratively with scholars and experts. Furthermore, it also allows students to understand the real-world challenges that local and global communities, organizations, and citizens face.
- The candidate should have a four-year bachelor’s degree or its equivalent from another country
- Note: International students need to provide official documentation showing of degree
- Should have strong knowledge of mathematical and statistical principles
- Experience with data structures and algorithms
- Experience with object-oriented programming like C, C++, and/or Java
Duration: Not mentioned
Fee: Click here to know about the structure
8. Master of Science in Data Science @ Columbia University, New York
This 30-credit MS in Data Science program offers students in-depth training in data science. It also provides a great opportunity for students to work closely with diverse Columbia faculty members as well as industry affiliates.
- Should have a bachelor’s degree
- Should have strong knowledge of Python, Java, R, C++, etc.
- Should also have knowledge of calculus, linear algebra, etc.
- Applicants are also required to submit their official (GRE) general test scores and international students’ should submit TOEFL, IELTS or PTE test scores
Duration: 30 Credit Hours
Fee: about $60,540. Click here to know more.
9. Master of Science in Analytics (MSA) @ Louisiana State University
The MS course at LSU is offered by the Stephenson Department of Entrepreneurship & Information Systems (SDEIS). It focuses on the use of business analytics, business intelligence, and information technology to solve problems, reduce costs, increase revenues, streamline processes, and improve decision-making.
Prerequisites: According to the official website of the university, there are no prerequisites required to apply
Duration: 3 semesters
Fee: $17,000 for Louisiana residents and $38,300 for non-residents
10. MS in Data Science @ University Of Virginia
This MS programme focuses on meeting the growing demand for skilful, agile data scientists. The curriculum created in such a way that about 80% of the material is common to all students. Further, many complicated and large data sets are woven across courses to increase the program’s cohesion. And students will consistently work together in teams, building strong relationships and practical skills in the process.
- The institution expects to have students who have just finished their degrees and students who have been working professionals and are returning to school.
- Talking about TOEFL, it has not been made public
- For GRE, there is no predetermined minimum required score
Duration: 11 Months
Fee: Click here to know about the fee structure.
Enjoyed this story? Join our Telegram group. And be part of an engaging community.
Provide your comments below
What's Your Reaction?
Harshajit is a writer / blogger / vlogger. A passionate music lover whose talents range from dance to video making to cooking. Football runs in his blood. Like literally! He is also a self-proclaimed technician and likes repairing and fixing stuff. When he is not writing or making videos, you can find him reading books/blogs or watching videos that motivate him or teaches him new things.