A Technical Journalist who loves writing about Machine Learning and…
Linux is the ultimate operating system used by most developers due to its flexibility, and the fact that it is open sourced. Linux based distros are often used by the developers for its large community and open source nature. Here, a developer can configure the system and work in its own modified environment. In this article, we jot down the top 5 open-sourced Linux distributions for the beginners.
Ubuntu is a free, open-source Linux distribution with support for OpenStack. Built on Debian’s architecture, this OS comprises Linux server and is one of the leading Linux distributions.
- A number of software packages are accessible from the built-in software along with other APT-based package management tools.
- Cross-distribution snap packages and flatpacks are available which allow installing some of Microsoft's software.
- The user interface is known as Unity, also Ubuntu comes with a hardware detector which detects, downloads and installs optimal drivers for your system.
- Vast Ubuntu community
- Easy and compatible with most of the hardware
- Numerous free software available
- Difficult to find applications to support your needs
- Driver issues may occur.
Click here to download Ubuntu.
Fedora is another Linux-based operating system which is sponsored by Red Hat. It contains software distributes under many free and open-source licenses and is the upstream source of commercial Red Hat Enterprise Linux distribution.
- In packet management, only the changes between the installed package and the new one are downloaded which reduces network traffic and bandwidth consumption
- This OS uses Security-Enhanced Linux by-default which implements a variety of security policies including mandatory access controls.
- Extra repositories can be added to the system so that software which is not available in this OS can be installed.
- Robust in nature
- Strong focus on open source and has a large repository
- Size is large
- Lacks support for ay proprietary formats such as Flash, MP3, MP4, etc.
Click here to download Fedora.
This is an open source Linux distribution which is also considered as one of the most widely used in the IT sectors. This operating system is compatible with the upstream vendor’s redistribution strategy and gains full industry support with security updates as well as training material.
- This is a stable, predictable, manageable and reproducible platform derived from the sources of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL).
- It provides a free, enterprise-class, community supported computing platform.
- It has a high level of security along with high-performance speed.
- It is highly customisable, secure and stable
- It has quite a few corporate level security updates
- Software compatibility is a little limited.
- Less feature-rich
Click here to download centOS
This operating system is a great and easy-to-use tool for new Linux users who want to switch from Windows or Mac as it comes with access to a lot of software which is needed while switching. It has a long term support release which will be supported until 2023. It also comes with updated software and brings refinements and many new features to make your desktop experience more comfortable.c
- This operating system is Ubuntu-based Linux distro which allows you to MP3, MP4, etc.
- Cinnamon is the most popular than the other two versions, MATE or Xfce.
- It has Timeshift which enables users to restore their computer from the past functional snapshot.
- Cinnamon desktop is a plus option for Windows users
- Full access to Ubuntu software repositories
- Upgrading can be tricky
- Can be unstable sometimes.
Click here to download Linux Mint.
This one of the most basic tools from the GNU project and is the operating system for many Linux distribution. Debian has a large number of packages which are aimed at stability and this is the main reason behind being the developer’s operating system.
- The packages of Debian integrate very well into the entire system.
- Several tools and gadgets are used to help connecting packages to each other which presents the user as a well-maintained and round system.
- Each Debian package is pre-configured.
- Open-sourced and has a large open-source community
- Supports most architectures of any binary Linux distribution.
- Less enterprise support
- Software updates are tricky
Click here to download Debian.
Register for our upcoming events:
- Meetup: NVIDIA RAPIDS GPU-Accelerated Data Analytics & Machine Learning Workshop, 18th Oct, Bangalore
- Join the Grand Finale of Intel Python HackFury2: 21st Oct, Bangalore
- Machine Learning Developers Summit 2020: 22-23rd Jan, Bangalore | 30-31st Jan, Hyderabad
Enjoyed this story? Join our Telegram group. And be part of an engaging community.
Provide your comments below
What's Your Reaction?
A Technical Journalist who loves writing about Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence. A lover of music, writing and learning something out of the box. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org