Listen to this story
Meta has announced a new decentralised organisational structure for Meta AI to better leverage the newest AI technology at scale.
“More centralised approaches run into their limits when the last mile proves to be too far for downstream teams to close the gap,”said Andrew Bosworth, CTO, Meta.
In the new model, Meta will distribute the ownership of various teams within Meta AI like AI Platform, AI for Product, AI4R to Meta’s product groups. These teams will be assigned the task of driving AI advancements and best practices into the products they support. They will be known as AI Innovation Centers.
- The AI research team, FAIR, that propels fundamental breakthroughs in AI will become an integral part of Reality Labs Research.
- FAIR now stands for “Fundamental AI Research”.
- The AI for Product teams that work to protect the people using our platforms, improve recommendations and make content more relevant, and improve our Ads and Commerce services will move to our product engineering team.
- The AI4AR team will join with the XR team in Reality Labs.
- The responsible AI team will be join the Social Impact team
- A new cross-functional AI team will be convened. It will evaluate the progress of the entire company in AI.
Meta is confident that the new structure will accelerate the adoption of important new technology across the company. “With this new team structure, we are excited to push the boundaries of what AI can do and use it to create new features and products for billions of people,” Bosworth said.